SL 360: Published content as video has an empty long ending

May 03, 2019

Hey,

I have a strange artifact happening. I have imported a video in my SL course and use animated objects on top of it. Then I export everything as a mp4 file from the Storyline.
My course has 3 slides: Intro slide with a voice over (no video), Second slide with a video and animation, Final slide with a voice over (no video).
My original video is, say 39 sec. When I publish my complete project as an mp4 file - I get an empty "tail" added of somewhat 40-50 sec more : the output file continues playing empty time, while staying on my Final slide -- nothing happens, it is just an empty "tail" added to my project.
My original video, which I used, is shorter than the whole mp4 output, so it cannot be because of the video I am using.
How to publish in mp4 so that published file ends exactly where my timeline ends on the Final slide?
You can see in the screenshot that the final slide does not have any objects that "live" beyond its end.

Thank you!

7 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Irina,

Thanks for sharing the details of what you are seeing when publishing your Storyline 360 project as a video.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Leslie,
Sorry I cannot share it yet due to NDA - however this is the recording of the video with a padded tail (white empty screen).
https://360.articulate.com/review/content/fb9ad4fb-3d2b-4784-89d1-34a00d88cdce/review

After the "Thank you for watching" - nothing should be added (as you can see on the screnshot, it is only 5 sec time), but the white empty tail is added

The screenshot attached above shows that the timline ends without any objects, so is there any trigger I could put to say that do not create anything beyond the certain point in timeline when publishing?

Irina Poloubessov

Found a strange thing!
I tried to debug this -

1) removed the video, pubished without a video as an mp4 - no empty padding;
2) Inserted video, published - no padding, BUT -

I have several cuepoints which pause and play the video on the second slide. When I removed a video and then reinserted - they of course were pointing to an unassigned video first, and when I haven't used them and published - there was no padding.

But when I reassigned them to a newly inserted video - the padding occured!

Cuepoints that pause and play video are located before the end of the timeline of the slide with video, so they should not interfer.

I contacted the support :-)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.