SL 360 v 3.12.14533.0 Slowdown Problem

Jan 23, 2018

We're editing a new .story with today's update.  Selecting an object on-screen seems to be getting slower with each new release.

Anyone else noticing this?

37 Replies
Emily Ruby

Hi All!

We really want to get to the bottom of this issue for everyone. We have received support cases from a few of you, and I wanted to see if anyone here could take a Peek recording of the exact issues and copy them in your case for further troubleshooting.

You may also share them here if you prefer.

We hope to get a resolution for this ASAP.

Thanks!

Stephanie Harnett

I had a couple of problems tonight, first deals with the prompt that I mentioned earlier about having to save as a different name. This happened again and I saved the file under a different name "...v016a.story" (you can see by the screen grab that it has the most current time). The original file was v016.story, then I saved v16a.story and notice there is a third file v0162.story. I didn't create this, it was automatically created when the save as... prompt happened. 

My sense is this is occurring if the wifi connection is dropped while working on a file.

Stephanie Harnett

The second problem relates to opening an SL file. I was working on the file noted above and had successfully saved it earlier in the night. With it open, I chose File > Open from SL and double-clicked on another SL file. I then received the attached error and had to re-boot my computer. Afterward I worked for several hours doing the same things - working between files, saving, etc. without problems. The files I'm working on have been created in SL 360 and are about 80 MB each. I only typically only have 1 file open at a time.

Stephanie Harnett

The problems have appeared again this morning. As you can see in the attached grab, I received the a Save a Copy error upon saving the file I was working on (this one is about 170 MB). If I choose the Overwrite option, it produces a second popup window with an error. I cancel out of that and chose the Save a Copy option, appending an "a" to the name. Notice there is the a third copy with the "2" appended to it that I didn't create.

Veronica Budnikas

Hi all,

Thought I'd chime in here. 

I started experiencing issues with the Jan 31 update. Before that I think I had one instance of the Memory error Nancy mentioned, but closing everything down and restarting my computer fixed that.

The Jan 31 issue, though, caused some really wacky behaviour: I had some slides in this project with 3 buttons, the first normal and the next two disabled, and for some weird reason on preview and published it would only show the first two buttons and not the third (kinda like the timeline paused, as they come in a bit staggered). Also, the Initial states of the buttons were incorrect.

I tried starting all the buttons at the start of the timeline to see what happened, and when I previewed I got the spinning wheel of death and nothing previewed.

I did a system restore which just took my system back a day to just before the Jan 31 update, and everything is now working perfectly. Thanks Tracey!

Hope you guys can find a solution!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for reaching out to our Support team! I see that my colleague Wilbert was able to help you. I haven't seen those error messages before either - but I wondered about something you said.

You mentioned when your wifi was disconnected - where are you storing the .story files? Were you working with something like Team Slides in Storyline 360? If the files are saved locally and not accessing cloud based items of Articulate 360 - I don't understand how the wifi connection plays in here. 

I want to make sure we're working on the issues you've run into as a few things did crop up over night, so I'm going to have Wilbert reach out to you again about these error messages! 

Stephanie Harnett

UPDATE - I worked with Wilbert  in support and I ended up doing the following:

1 - Adjusted the paging file to be half the size of the currently installed memory. The paging file was set to automatically adjust and was only using 1 GB out of my 16 GB system. I changed that to custom a custom value. 

2 - Re-booted and worked for 30 minutes on a 200 MB SL file. There were no saving issues or other errors.

3 - I was experiencing frequent slowness and realized I had the autosave on for every 10 minutes in SL, which on a 200 MB file meant it was mostly saving and allowing me only a few minutes to edit without performance lag. I adjusted this to every 30 minutes and it worked smoothly, ran fast and without error.

Stephanie Harnett

Sure, just go to System in Control Panel, click the Advanced tab then Settings (under Performance). Click the Advanced tab and click the Change button under Virtual Memory. Here you take it off automatically adjusting the paging file and click the Custom size option to control it with a specific value in MB. I did this only for my system drive C.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.