SL3 wrongly flipping objects on a motion path by 180 degrees when published

Sep 23, 2019

This is a bizarre SL3 problem that needs fixing.

We have a .png image of an aircraft which is moved along a freeform motion path. The option is set to 'orient shape to path'. The source image has the aircraft pointing upwards at 12 o'clock. At the start of the animation, the aircraft image rotation has been set to 302 degrees.

When the project is previewed, the aircraft appears pointing correctly to the North West and moves correctly along the path.

However, when the project (which is quite large) is published for CD and the .exe runs locally, the aircraft image is rotated and pointing roughly South East.  It then moves correctly up the motion path, but tail first!  

So I inserted a 'dummy' slide before this slide, with a simple motion path animation of the same aircraft .png. When I published the entire course again, the aircraft on this dummy slide AND the slide which previously showed the image 'flipping' error now worked OK.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? 

3 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear you're running into this issue! A few questions to dig a little further:

• What version of Storyline 3 are you using? You can view this by going to the Help tab, and clicking About Storyline.
  • What browser and version are the .exe opening up when you run the course?

We have noticed other users bring up situations where some .html5 content doesn't always run correctly in Internet Explorer, though I do find it odd that you were able to fix the error by using a dummy slide.

If you keep running into the issue or would like for us to take a look, feel free to reach out to one of our support engineers and we may be able to help you find the culprit!

Tim Neill

Hi Ren,

Thanks for your response.

I am using SL3 Update 6: 3.6.18134.0. I am publishing for CD and running the Launch_Story.exe file. No browser opens when I run it.

I have been trying to reduce the problem to publishing the smallest repeatable size, which is one scene comprising 7 slides. The animated aircraft is on slide 1.

If I publish only that slide for CD, the aircraft animates along the path in the correct orientation.

If I publish the complete 7 slide scene, when slide 1 plays, the aircraft moves tail first along the path.

Regards,

Tim

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the additional details. 

That certainly does sound odd and interesting that you experience different results with the single slide vs. the scene.

I'm opening a support case on your behalf so that we can take a look and understand what's going on as well. Be on the lookout for an e-mail from support@articulate.com which will include a private upload link for you to share your file.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.