SL360 - Number of quiz attempts working fine in Slide preview, but not working in the Scene preview or in Review360

Jul 22, 2021

Hi everyone

I'm building a compliance learning course in SL360 and I'm having no end of problems with the quiz component. I've built the quizzes just fine using the provided templates and I've set them all for learners to have 3 attempts on each question. I've added variables so that the slide will reset for each new attempt (found how to do that in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk_dY_hh8lA). When I test each quiz individually by running a Slide Preview, each quiz runs perfectly for 3 attempts. But, when I try the quizzes again in the Scene Preview, most of them won't allow 3 attempts, and will snap straight to the 'Incorrect' slide layer after one attempt, and not allow any further attempts. This is the same when I publish the scene to Review 360. I'm completely baffled why this is happening - and I'm going crazy trying to figure out the problem!! Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions? I'd really appreciate any help. πŸ₯΄

I've attached snapshots of my triggers and variables for reference. These are:

Q1 - Triggers - giving all 3 attempts (this quiz is working fine for 3 attempts)

Q5 - Triggers - but only giving 1 attempt (this quiz is set up exactly as Q1, but is only allowing one attempt before going to the 'incorrect' slide layer)

Variable - TRY - is set at Default Value 0 (as shown in the video link I've attached)

Many thanks

Liz 

8 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hello Liz!

I'm happy to help! I appreciate you sharing the screenshots of the triggers. Have you tried adding a condition on the Hide Layer trigger that says "If Try Again is less than 2" and a condition on the Jump to Slide trigger that says "If Try Again is equal to 3?"

I think we'll be able to find a quicker solution if we can take a look at the .story file. Are you comfortable sharing that with us?

You can either attach the file to this public discussion or upload it to us privately in a support case. Either way, we'll take a look and see what is causing the incorrect layer to appear even after one attempt.

Liz Pengilley

Hi Lauren!

Thanks so much for your offer of assistance - I really appreciate it. 

Pardon my ignorance...I'm new to Articulate and I'm not actually sure where I find the STORY file for my project to send to you?? I've tried every possible way that I can think of, but I can't seem to copy it?? Sorry - feeling very 'Articulate illiterate' right now πŸ˜•

Leslie McKerchie

No worries, Liz. The file that you are working on within Storyline is a .story file. Assuming that you've named and saved the file, you can double-check where you have that saved by doing a 'Save-As' and taking a peek at your file name and where it's saved.

That's the file you can add directly to your reply or the support case if you decide to share privately.

Liz Pengilley

Hi Leslie - I'd just like to thank you, and Lauren and Sheila for all your help. You have all been fantastic. But I would like to give a stand-alone shout out to Sheila for her help. Sheila provided a video with narrative of how she created a variable and triggers to counter the problem I was experiencing, which, for your E-Learning Heroes Community, was that my original variable for resetting my quiz questions so that my learners could have 3 attempts at each question was not resetting back to the value of zero. Which meant, with each subsequent quiz question, the variable had not reset and hence my learners were not being provided with 3 attempts, but only one. Sheila created a variable of True/False, with corresponding triggers. A lot of work (not for Heroes, though!) but with great results!! 

Thank you again to the team, and also for the super prompt response and resolution! 

Liz 😊