SL360 publishing Online

Dec 16, 2020

I work for a state agency and unfortunately, they don't have the time to publish a course I crated using SL360. (Long story)

In short. Is there no other way to publish a course I crated using SL360 online? I am familiar with Rise however, the features seem very limited. I enjoy using SL360 because of the interactions and triggers. Maybe I am missing something.

Any tips and feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Jo

6 Replies
Walt Hamilton

If you have access to the .story file and SL, you have a variety of publishing choices. They all look the same to the learner; the publishing differences are in where they are located and how the learner accesses them.

You can publish for LMS, if you have access to one. You can publish for Web, if you have a place to store it in the cloud, or an internet server, or a local server. You can publish for a CD, and make it available on a CD or flash drive. 

Johanna Caimir-Mahoney

Hi Walt, 

So if I don't have a place to store SL360 in the cloud, an internet server, or a local server. What would be my other options? I am trying to stay away from CD and flash drive, considering teleworking is now a thing for most of us. Am I to assume Rise.com is the solution? I really want to keep the interactive component of SL360 alive and not just make it a "website" base. I hope this makes sense? lol

Walt Hamilton

So what exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you want someone to access your finished course, it has to be physically hosted on a location their computer can access it. Articulate Online is being phased out, and as you noted, mobile-based content (Rise) isn't as flexible as browser-based content (Storyline). If you won't deliver the content physically (CD or other physical storage device), then the internet is the only means of delivery you have left. That means you have to pay to have the content hosted, or find a source that will host material for free (like s3 or others).

The key is that no matter where you host it, when it gets to someone's computer, it looks exactly the same. Rise courses look and act like Rise, and Storyline courses look and act like storyline courses.

Johanna Caimir-Mahoney

I guess what I am trying to accomplish is to have SL360 publish my course online without getting my department IT involved. I am trying to cut out the middle man out and getting them involved has been a pain and process. I just don't want to wait on IT to upload the information to our server. I want to be able to create and publish my own content to the department. 

I am not familiar with s3? Maybe the internet is the only delivery I have left.

Walt Hamilton

If you publish to Articulate Online, it will automatically upload the published content to their server. If you publish to any other source, a folder is created. That folder must then be loaded manually to the appropriate spot.

Frequently IT departments have policies in place that prevent you from saving to the network. If that is the case, you will have to get their help, or use the internet. 

If all you want is for it to be seen by the department, you may be in luck. If you can create new folders, and save content to them on a location on the network that your intended audience can access, no problem.

Publish to the web, and save it locally. That will create a folder that contains everything  you need.  Its name will be [project name] - Storyline output. Upload that folder and all its contents to the network in a place your audience can locate it. You can change the name of the root folder, but should be very cautious about changing anything else. Send them a link to the story.html file that is in the the root folder.