Slide not displaying in menu

Jun 21, 2013

Hi!

I have a results slide that is not showing up in my menu.  I can add it in manually (see image below) but it does not "stick".  As you can see, it does not show up in the preview.  I click "OK" and close out of the player properties and the slide does not show up in the menu. 

I tried to "reset from story" and that particular slide does not appear in the menu listing.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Brooke 

21 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi there Brooke!

First, please make sure you're working with local project files. It sounds like the changes you're making aren't saving to the file, and if you're working from an external source, this can sometimes be the result. 

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names (this includes spaces and underscores).

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

If that doesn't help, it may be an issue with the file. Please try creating a new, blank Storyline file and import the original slides into the new file. The tutorial here explains how to do this, just in case you're not sure what steps to take. 

If the slide still won't stick in the menu, can you share the .STORY file here, please? I'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks!

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Christine and Brooke,

Christine, I"m a little confused. Results slides don't appear in the menu, do they? Or, Brooke, are you not referring to the standard Storyline results slide?

And Brooke, when you say you created it, how do you mean? Did you type a heading into the player? Also, if you click reset from story, I don't think it will appear in the menu - but that's brings me back to my first point, because I didn't think Storyline DID create a results slide menu item.

Tx for any help clarifying my confusion.

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Becky! :D

Ah! You're totally right. You can add it through the player, but it doesn't "stick". I'm not sure why I thought they did, maybe it was just my "Friday brain" :) You can select it and add it in the Player Properties (though Menu > Insert from project), but it won't keep.

By default, Storyline will not display result slides in the menu when previewing or publishing.

If you want a result slide to display in your menu outline, do the following:

1. Create a new scene in Storyline.
  2. Move the result slide to the new scene.  It needs to be the only slide in the scene.
  3. Adjust the triggers on the feedback layers for the last question in your quiz, so they jump to the result slide in the new scene.

I hope this helps!

Martin Talbot

I have a problem similar to this - but not relating to results slides - ratherv to normal slides.

I have added every slide in my project to the menu. I have ticked the menu option in the PLayer and asked for it to appear on the right sidebar.The Player look like it has understood!

However, sometimes the sidebar shows the menu; sometimes it does not. It almost seems that some of my slides are not registering - when they are, the menu shows, when they aren't, the menu disappears. When the menu DOES show, many of the slides are greyed out.

Tried rebooting. No difference. Published version - also no effect.

Any ideas? I'm sure it's something silly!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.