Slides behaving badly! SL 3/360

Feb 05, 2020

Hello

Has anyone come across the issue of 2 (or more) slides being setup the same, but behaving differently?

I've multiple slides in my course that contain text entry questions. They've been setup so that if the fields are blank, a layer is meant to display to remind them to complete the activity. Then, if they've entered something, they'll get a thanks layer, and will also display their answers.

Because there are multiple text entry fields, it's setup using a feedback button that changes to selected once submit has been clicked, and one or more fields have been completed. On some slides, this works perfectly, and as expected. On others, although setup the same, and triggers in the same order, and triple-checking the variable names are correct, the 'thanks' layer displays regardless whether any fields have been typed in or not.

None of the variables have a default value, they're all left blank (I've checked). There's close to 300 text input fields through my file, so I needed to make sure this was accurate across the board.

The order of the triggers on the submit button are as follows:

When the user clicks SUBMIT
Change state of FB btn to selected
Show layer POPUP if TXTENTRY001 or TXTENTRY002 or TXTENTRY003 = value (blank)
Submit Pick One 1 if TXTENTRY001 or TXTENTRY002 or TXTENTRY003 ≠ value (blank)

I've checked the slides to make sure the properties are the same too (they are!).

I cannot, for love nor money, figure out why they're behaving differently. Beyond having to recreate the slides from scratch, I was hoping that this may have come up before, and there was a work-around? There's no obvious reason to function differently.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

5 Replies
Randy Hill

Without seeing the file, I am only guessing but here is my thought. I very rarely use the selected state because it is fickle. It is meant to be easily toggled on and off. I use instead the visited state. Once it is visited in stays visited, no matter what goes on after it changes to visited. It is more consistent in other words. I would try using that button state. Also, check your slide settings to make sure nothing is different there.

Walt Hamilton

Randy is right, without seeing some slides, all of us that answer you are just guessing. He also makes a good point that it is dangerous to create a trigger that duplicates a built-in function. Hover, Selected, and Visited all change to the appropriate state when clicked. Creating another trigger to duplicate that action can only cause conflicts, I carry things a step farther than he does, and don't use Visited either. I create my own states, that way I can know what, when, why and how they change.

As I read your description of your triggers, I sense that maybe you are trying to implement some sort of If...then...else procedure, which SL doesn't do. As I read the descriptions, the popup will show unless they are all filled in, and they will be submitted unless they are all blank. Any other state will cause them both to happen, but my guess is that the submit may take place before you can see the popup.

Blue Kearsley

I usually add my own states - I'm well versed on them, and triggers/variables. However, the exact same pattern/structure works on other slides, just not all. I've attached the file for reference.

In the freeform pick one, I'm using a button to be the correct answer and therefore has to be selected in order to submit all entries (multiple text entries). Again, this works on other slides. See attached. Slides 11-13 (and others) work, slide 26 (and others) don't. The logic is the same throughout. I'm not doing anything different. I've even re-created a brand new project and the same issue occurs. It seems to be skipping over the fact that the input fields are blank, and goes straight to the 'thanks' layer, rather than the POPUP layer. The order of the triggers are the same across the board - I've tirelessly checked these, and what they refer to. Just causing a huge headache!

I've tried a number of different workarounds, to the same result. It doesn't matter whether they answer correctly, just that they've made an attempt at least. I used to have it skip to the next slide, but that was problematic in other ways.

The setup of the course is a little different because my client uses a surface pro which has caused endless issues including needing to hotspot all buttons (their assets). I'm also having problems with the scrolling panel on the 'thanks' layer, not showing all formatting (another issue - not pro related this time!).

As you can imagine, I'm getting rather frustrated.

Walt Hamilton

Since everything else looks good, I think that somehow the triggers are corrupted, possibly during the copy and paste process. I went to slide 26, deleted the Show POPUP and Submit triggers from both the SUB and Submit buttons. Then I recreated them from scratch for the SUB button and pasted them onto the Submit button, and now it works like Slide 11.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.