States not showing correctly on slide

I've created an agenda slide with images linking to the different topics.  Each image has 3 states, normal, disabled and visited.  I've set the state of the majority to 'disabled' and then switch them to normal with variables as the learner progresses.  Each state has a different image, normal has the image with a number embedded, disabled a plain image, and visited an image with text embedded in it (all separate images).  However, when I view the project (and the slide) although the images are disabled (the learner can't click to go to the topic until my variable works), what the learner actually sees on the slide is the 'normal' state (the image with the number) rather than the disabled state (the plain image).  Any ideas what I need to do.

11 Replies
Susan Illing

Hi

I've had to strip it right back - so now there are no images (other than on the agenda slide) and no sound. I've reduced the scenes so that the variables work as I've built them but in a shortcut way - but the Agenda (2.2) is working in the same way as I described.

Susan

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Susan!

Thanks for sharing your file and I was able to see the behavior that you are reporting although I did not get a chance to dive in to understand the set-up or cause.

I have opened a support case on your behalf so that someone can dive into this for you and assist.

You should be hearing from someone soon.

Michael Shannon

That was a tricky one. Okay Susan,here are the steps I took to fix this:

  1. Click on the first button you want to fix, then click on Edit States. 
  2. Click on the disabled state and then click on the image and Save as Picture. You could probably skip this part since you most likely have the image on your hard drive, but since I didn't... 
  3. Delete the Disabled state
  4. Click somewhere on the background to deselect the button.
  5. Create a new Disabled state by clicking New State icon.
  6. It's going to want to automagically add your Normal State image as the disabled state but you need to delete this image from the slide (thereby leaving the disabled state empty, but well fix that now...).
  7. Ctrl+J to add the above saved image or add the one from your hard drive.  
  8. Line the added image with the crosshair (top left of image)
  9. Click Done Editing States and test. 

I've had this happen to me before and it has something to do with the way SL uses the Normal state to create a new state. If you've done something to the image within SL it will carry over that information to the new state (even if it doesn't look like it). In your case it was carrying over the number along with the image. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how that was happening but if you think back on how you created those states it might reveal itself. 

Anyway, I got it to work as you designed it using the above steps to fix the disabled state. No changes to the vars or triggers needed. 

Susan Illing

Thanks for that.  Deleting and re-editing the disabled state did the trick (although it took a few attempts to get rid of the disabled state).  Looking back, I think the image which eventually became the disabled state, started off as 'normal'.  So when I edited the normal state it thought it should be disabled as well.  Got there in the end - thanks for the help.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Susan,

It looks like you also heard from Miker on this set up and he shared the following:


There appears to be some form of corruption on the images in slide 2.2. I was only able to correct the issue by recreating the images. Here's the steps that I did: 

1. Copy the Normal image and paste it into a new slide (in this case I inserted a blank slide, which is slide 2.3). 
2. Paste the copied Normal image into slide 2.3. 
3. Go back to slide 2.2 and click on the image you initially copied and go to States. Edit the states and copy the Disabled image. 
4. Go to slide 2.3, and click on the Normal image there, edit it. Insert Disabled state for the image. The Normal image will display for the Disabled state, so go ahead and delete the existing image and paste the copied image from slide 2.2. 
5. Do the same for the Visited state. 

I've done this approach for the first 2 images on the slide and they are showing correctly now during preview. Attached is a copy of the modified story. The images for Picture 1 and 2 are the ones that I've done. You may need to do the same approach for the rest of the images. 

Let me know if you need anything else! 

Glad that Miker and Michael were able to get you situated here!