States not working

Dec 22, 2020

Please can I request the help of you lovely professionals? I have states on a situation menu that should turn to complete when variable changes if the situation is complete. However, they are not working for some reason, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why?  HELP!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

P.S. I am still working on it so please ignore the dial interaction (although I have put the answer so you can progress when helping me figure out what is wrong)

3 Replies
Judy Nollet

Hi, Sarah,

The triggers to change the states on your menu are set to do so when the associated variable changes. But the variables don't change on the menu. They change on other slides. Those triggers couldn't execute, because they can't "see" the variable as it changes. 

In this type of case, you need to have triggers that will always execute when the user returns to the slide. Since you don't want to repeat the animation of the menu slide, you can put the triggers on a blank layer. Show the layer when the base timeline starts. And set the layer to "Reset to Initial State" so it will always replay. Use conditions to control the triggers. 

You can see what I mean in the attached file. There are also more detailed instructions here:

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/building-better-courses/create-a-custom-menu-slide 

Judy Nollet

Hi again, Sarah,

I don't know if this is explicitly discussed in the user guides. It may be one of those "learn by doing" things.

I will suggest that it's helpful to examine triggers carefully when troubleshooting. And that includes ensuring that the "when" in the trigger will actually happen on the slide where the trigger is.

Also, keep in mind that triggers execute in order. So, for example, if you want clicking a button to do something on a given slide, that trigger has to be before any trigger that jumps to another slide.

Best wishes!