States or Layers when using the slider for 360 Spins?

Oct 16, 2014

Now that Storyline 2 has Sliders I no longer need to use additional software to create the 360 spins, Yippee! but I have lots of pictures and they will change as I move the slider, however I'm not sure if each picture should be a STATE or if each picture should be a LAYER, does it matter?

Also could I add another slider to zoom into the 360 spin whilst sliding?

7 Replies
Michael Hinze

I don't think it really matters, but I used states instead of layers to do a 360 degree spin, using a slider. See the 5th example in this sample file here. From the top off my head, I'd say it's technically possible to add a second slider for the zoom, the number of states would just increase dramatically. Hope that helps

Trevor Madley-West

Hi Michael, wow that was you! I had earlier cast an eye on your example and liked the Front and Rear view detail you added, Was going to pinch it for mine, if I couldn't figure out the zoom bit! If zooming will add lots more states it may be the best way to go as I have got three times the normal amount of shots required for a 360 turn. Thanks for the response.

Michael Hinze

Trevor Madley-West said:

Hi Michael, wow that was you! I had earlier cast an eye on your example and liked the Front and Rear view detail you added, Was going to pinch it for mine, if I couldn't figure out the zoom bit! If zooming will add lots more states it may be the best way to go as I have got three times the normal amount of shots required for a 360 turn. Thanks for the response.

No problem Trevor. I would love to see what you come with!
Michael Hinze
Phillip Krasnoff

Hi Michael. I love your 3D rotation example. I am trying to replicate something similar to your 5th example. How did you add the animated selected area squares and hotspots? would it be possible to download a copy of your Storyline working file so I can see how set out your Storyline project?

I can't share the source file, but it's simple enough. The 3D element is an image object with a bunch of custom states. The zoomed-in highlights are on two layers (Front and Rear View) which are displayed by clicking the buttons on the baselayer. Here is an old blog post that describes the basic setup: http://blog.keypointlearn.com/2014/04/26/adding-3d-to-storyline/ This example was done in SL1, so the slider mechanism is different but everything else is as described.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.