Storline 360 HTML5 Performance

Nov 15, 2016

I have been a Storyline user since the beginning and I'm excited about the possibilities with 360. HTML5 output in Storyline2 has caused me a lot of grief in the past, requiring many hours of testing to uncover break-point patterns and workarounds. I am trying a couple of these courses in Storyline 360 and have a few questions/observations: 

1. Storyline 360 Features describe "Superior HTML5 Output" - is there a more detailed description of what this means technically?
  2. HTML5/Flash Fallback - course performance has been very sluggish compared to Storyline 2 output. It appeared some pages were not working but turned out to just be a big delay.  Also had problems with a simple page with several path animations synchronized to voice-over - again it might have been just a very slow response. Are others experiencing this performance issue?
  3. Playing multiple media files simultaneously - appears this problem is resolved with my tests on an iPad?
  4. HTML5 Break-Points - The new version appears to be generally much better at finding it's way back to pages/layers after a Save/Exit and more complex branching. Storyline 2 HTML5 often had problems figuring out what to do when coming back into a page and locked in a number of situations. Does the 360 version cover these situations consistently or will it still be a trial and error process on multiple browsers, platforms and devices?

I would appreciate feedback to help uncover how far 360 has gone with HTML5 output and whether there is a way to speed up performance.

34 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi John,

Thanks for giving Articulate 360 a thorough test run, and I hope you'll keep doing so throughout your trial! I've answered your specific questions below:

1. I don't know that there is a more technical explanation - but some of the items to improve HTML5 output and make it superior would be connected to HTML5 only output, increased browser support, our responsive player and increased gesture support within HTML5 tablets. 

2. When you're seeing this performance issue where have you uploaded the course and what browsers are you using? It sounds like something we'd want to take a look at to determine reproducibility and if there is something specific in this course causing a delay or if it's how you're experiencing the HTML5 output as a whole. 

3. The issue with multiple media was based on certain browsers not being able to auto play more than one as detailed here. Is that the issue you're referring too? 

4. Are you referring to a resume behavior - when a user closes out of the course and then returns, in regards to where they are brought back? I'd also want to take a look at the issues you were experiencing and know more about if it's the whole course that isn't resuming or resuming to a particular point on a slide. 

For the two that we'd want to investigate further with you, can you share a copy of the Storyline 360 .story file here with us or send it along to our Support team here? 

John Hudson

Ashley,

Thanks for the response.  I will try to clarify my points a bit better:

1. In terms of HTML output, I was just trying to understand if the coding has improved to allow it to function correctly in all the different environments and platforms such as iPads and Macs.
  2. Performance issues - I seem to have better success with Flash with HTML5 fallback as opposed to the other way around. We experienced the performance issues using IE and Chrome on PCs and Safari on iPad. Maybe there is a more thorough explanation of how to optimize the publishing mode for our various delivery situations.
  3. Multiple media files - got it.  I was able to play 2 audio files simultaneously on iPad but I guess the limitation still exists if I wanted two video files.
  4. HTML5 break-points - I went back to 2 separate courses where they hung up for users on Macs using Safari (both courses worked fine in the PC world on a variety of browsers). In both cases I was using Drag and Drop interactions where you had to re-enter the slide and try again or move on to another item. In one of the courses we had to eliminate Drag and Drop as part of a navigational scheme and go to simple state changes. in the other course  I had to split the interaction into two parts and use a "Re-direct Page" - a separate blank page so that the interaction could go from a layer to this page and automatically return to interaction page so that the re-set to initial state would happen.  I have had to use a similar technique for Save/Exit when using lots of layers, so that you leave the page first before completing the exit and then you can return to the same point later instead of just back to the base layer. These are some of the areas where I am wondering if 360 will function in the Mac world without the trouble-shooting and workarounds.
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks John for the clarifications - that's really helpful. 

1. I can't speak directly to the code ( I wouldn't even know where to begin!) but it's generally proprietary the updates and fixes made to things like that. The broader support of browsers and the ability to have HTML5 output only or first would be connected to better overall playback in those environments though especially as certain browsers start to fade out or block Flash content as a default. 

2. This tutorial has steps for all things mobile publishing, so you may want to begin there. In terms of optimizing, Storyline 360 (or any of the tools) will optimize items like video, file size, etc. as a part of the publishing process to make playback smooth and then it'll be dependent on your hosting location and internet connection how that ultimately plays back for you. For the performance issues you mentioned, is it a slow loading of the initial content? Loading in between? Perhaps you could share a link to the published output and I can give it a test on a few different environments.

4. I know that the drag and drops can be tricky as they won't automatically reset to initial state on a reattempt of the slide, and that is expected behavior. So the redirect page sounds like what we have advised in the past and similar for slide layers as the "resume" data of Storyline will recognize the slide they are on and return them to that point. I have seen a really cool example here of the "save/exit" set up here.  If you're only seeing the oddities of the behavior when viewing the HTML5 output we'd want to take a look at the Storyline 2 file and we can test it in Storyline 360 as well - can you upload it here in the forums or send it along to our Support team here. Also the trial of Storyline 360 can run side by side with Storyline 2, so you're welcome to download the trial and test those items out to see if they work as you'd like as well! 

Lisa Dobias

I am also experiencing a problem with the Resume option. It is set for On Restart - Always Resume. When I am testing my course (published to SCORM 1.2), I fail the scored assessment and then exit the course. When I launch the course again, it always take me to a specific slide that it in the middle of the course. I can get the Resume feature to work correctly if I exit before any interactions in the course, but when I go beyond an interaction that uses triggers and layers and any question in the course, exit and returning to the course always takes me to the same slide - even if I was past it or not to it yet. Any idea on what I can do to fix this issue?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Lisa,

It sounds like the reason why you always resume to a specific slide in the course is that you've exceeded your suspend data limit. Your LMS might be imposing limits on suspend data. Older LMS specs, such as SCORM 1.2, have outdated restrictions on suspend data.

We recommend publishing for the latest edition of SCORM 2004 or Tin Can API (also known as Experience API). See this article for more information.

I recommend that you try to republish your course for SCORM 2004 3rd Edition or 4th Edition, both of which support much longer suspend data. Let me know if that fixes the issue!

Lisa Dobias

I wish I could publish to SCORM 2004, but our LMS person is dictating that we use AICC or SCORM 1.2. I tried AICC but had issues with 360 reporting the assessment results so I switched to SCORM 1.2 which is the only other one they will support. We are on an older version of SuccessFactors myLearning. I did several tests with this and have discovered that bookmarking works up until one slide where I have lots of layers. I am in the process of breaking those layers up in hopes that this might help. I am concerned though that it may not resolve the issue. It is odd that bookmarking works up until that slide but any slide after will always bring me back to the slide with multiple layers and interactions. I published to cloud.scorm and have the same quirky results so that led me down the path of splitting this one slide into multiple and reducing the number of layers. I don't know that this will work, but I thought it might be worth a try. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. (Would it make a difference if using HTML5/Flash or Flash/HTML5 or just Flash as the output?)

Lisa Dobias

Lisa Dobias

The issue was not resolved by separating my one big slide with all the layers and interactions into separate slides. The other problem I ran into is that when I did this, I changed the hotspot to Jump to slide instead of show layer, I lost the ability to change the rectangle box to visited (gray) when user clicks HS. It all works fine when I have this show layer, but not for jump to slide. I have a slide where I want users to click each step to see details and it doesn't work well when the box(es) the clicked on don't switch color - hard to know which ones you have looked at already.

I tested this all on the cloud.score site and am now stuck again as far as what to do since our LMS person will not let me use anything but SCORM 1.2 or AICC, and AICC won't track quiz results correctly. Any other suggestions?

Lisa Dobias

Natalie Sikes

Hello. I'm also having issues with mobile performance using the Flash/HTML5 publishing option. The performance on my iPad (Safari) is not as good as Storyline 2 - keeps crashing and the clickable interactions are shaky. I assumed that all publishing options involving HTML5 would work better. I can't seem to be able to use the HTML5 only option because my company uses IE11 / SumTotal. Do you know if this is an IE-related issue or is it a bug in 360?

So, it looks like if you still need both the Flash option and HTML5, that you're going to get a bad experience with mobile. I may need to revert back to Storyline 2 until this is fixed. Depending on how long it takes to fix this, I may need a refund on 360 for now.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Natalie,

So sorry you're running into issues with mobile performance. We definitely wouldn't expect that behavior, so let's see if we can narrow down why this could be happening. Are you working with a new Storyline 360 file, or a file that was originally created in Storyline 2 and upgraded to Storyline 360? Since you mentioned using SumTotal, it might also be worth testing in SCORM Cloud to compare your experience there with your experience in SumTotal. We generally compare the behavior in SCORM Cloud to your LMS experience to try to parse out file issues versus LMS issues.  

If you're still having trouble, it would really help us if we could take a closer look at the original .story file to do some mobile testing. Would you be able to send it to our Support Engineers by clicking here? If you do decide to open a case, be sure to let me know your case number so I can follow along. :)

Natalie Sikes

Hello. Thanks for responding. This is a Storyline 2 file that I upgraded to
Storyline 3. I have tested the file on my iPad via SCORM Cloud and
SumTotal. My biggest issue now is that the file keeps crashing about
half-way through the training - both on SCORM Cloud and SumTotal. I have
other issues as well, but the crashing is my biggest concern.

I have submitted a case, and they are currently working on it.I hope to get
a resolution soon. Thanks.

Sally Austin

Hi

I'm using Storyline 3 and I'm also having issues with courses upgraded from Storyline 2 to Storyline 3.  I have published them HTML5/Flash fallback.  Sometimes the video flickers; sometimes the sound plays with a blank screen where the video should be and overall the course is very sluggish.  I get the same result if I run the course on my local pc - so it isn't an internet speed issue.  I have tested in both Firefox and Chrome with the same results.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.