Storyline 2 Next Button

Sep 24, 2014

Has anyone found where you can set the next button to not appear until the slide content is complete. I saw it on the "What's New" video but can't find it player. Anyone used it yet?

42 Replies
david mckisick

Thanks for the reply Emily. I think I got that part of how to disable/enable it. My question is more about finessing it. I like the fact that I can set the Next button to appear via timeline and want to leverage that without having to setup the second trigger on each slide, say by setting these triggers via master slide?

david mckisick

Ahh. Ok, so the options for this are:

1. Have Next button appear or become enabled at Cuepoint or X time.

2. Have Next button disabled or hidden until end of timeline.

3. Have Next button appear or become enabled at the beginning or end of a timeline event, such as a shape, audio clip, or perhaps even a video.

Does this sound right or am I missing something?

Marge Rutter

Just came across this thread about hiding the Next button ...

I've added a trigger to change the state of the Next button to Hidden when the timeline starts. And then I've added a trigger to change the state of the Next button to Normal when all of the objects in my interaction are in the Visited state. But it doesn't work. The Next button never reappears. I've played around with other options ... changing the state of the Next button to Normal when just one object is Visited ... but I never see that Next button again.

It looks like all of the tutorials (including the one linked to above) are either about just disabling the Next button, or creating a custom button to replace the built in Next button. So my question is ... is it even possible to hide and then show the built in Next button based on interactions on the slide?

Thanks for any help.

Marge Rutter

The project I was working on is proprietary, so I cannot share. But I put together a quick sample to show you my logic. When all four buttons are in the visited state .. still no Next button. Is it because I am branching away and coming back?? The buttons are in the visited state either way.

Thanks for your help.

Marge Rutter

Sorry ... I'm just replying to emails in my Inbox. I uploaded my sample a couple of posts up (Next_btn_sample.story).

Basically, I have 4 objects on a menu slide. When they click each one of those objects, it takes them to a different slide. When they come back to the menu, that object is now in the 'visited' state. I've got a trigger that hides the Next button when the timeline starts. And then another trigger that changes the Next button status to Normal when all four of those objects are in the Visited state.

I can see that they are in the visited state ... but it's not kicking off the trigger to change the status of the Next button to Normal.

Doug Hodgson

I'm trying to get the Next button to work like it used to in SL1. I have a video clip that is ~10 seconds long and want to give the viewer the option of clicking the Next button to jump to the next slide but the Next button won't work until the media completes? I'm playing with the Triggers but can't seem to get it to work? Any ideas?

The Menu has to be 'Restricted' so people can't just jump to the Quiz Questions btw.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.