Storyline 2 update

Jun 14, 2018

Hi there,

Could you tell me if updating all courses to Storyline 360 (we switched a few months ago) would fix this issue:

We’ve released an important update for Storyline 2 that we thought you’d want to know about.

Recently, some commonly used browsers, including Chrome and Safari, started blocking autoplay of audio and video content on websites. Chrome has temporarily rolled back this change for audio, but it will be made permanent in October. These changes impact audio and video in e-learning courses created in Storyline.

With the latest Storyline 2 update, learners using Chrome 66+ or Safari 11 will see a play button when they launch or resume a course with a video on the first slide. Videos on other slides should autoplay as expected.

You’ll need to install the latest update and republish your courses to ensure that learners can play video content across browsers. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you so much!

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dorota,

The changes to Chrome and Safari's autoplay policies are impacting all of Articulate's published content (and lots of other media tools too) but luckily Storyline 2, 3 and Storyline 360 all have a fix in place to account for their changes.

You can read a bit more about that here for videos and audio in Chrome, which they've rolled back some changes til October. 

Long story, short - any content you've previously published will need to be updated to account for these changes, and any new content you're going to publish should be done with the latest update (for your version of Storyline). 

Let me know if you need anything else! 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Matthew, 

If you're using Storyline 2 or 3 and using the option to Load web object automatically and that is occurring before the user has interacted with other elements of the course (i.e. clicking on a next button or similar) than it would fall into the same media autoplay category as mentioned above.

Luckily Storyline 2, 3 and 360 all include the fix detailed here in the latest update for each. You'll want to download, install and publish your courses with that latest update. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.