Storyline 3 and HTML5 publishing issues in IE11
My company has requested that we start updating all our outputs to HTML5, but still uses IE11, and I have been plagued with a plethora of recurring issues, especially on software simulations, that cause IE11 crashes and other dysfunction. Here are a few of the most invasive issues, that I haven't seen too much in other posts and occur in a dozen or more of my files, and I wonder if anyone has also had them or have any viable solutions.
- My BIGGEST problem is that the buttons on slides or layers with audio break every time I edit the file (some need monthly updates) causing an IE11 crash and requiring me to recreate one from scratch and then copy and paste it and reprogram and time it into every occurrence of buttons in the course (some have been replaced 4 times). I have several software simulations that have mocked drop-downs and this can mean that 100s of buttons, sometimes in scrolling panels, need replacement.
- Hotspots completely randomly crash IE11 with no means to identify issues before publishing and QCing the published files.
- All state changes blink significantly and don't transition smoothly. I really don't want to replace state changes with additional images, that's the POINT of state changes.
- Markers that are initially hidden don't function properly. Randomly the fly-outs don't appear on hover, in flash output I solved this by making a 'fake hide' state that had the marker deleted, but in HTML5 output this doesn't work as the underlying animations (pulse/swirl) show.
- Initially I thought that advanced triggers weren't working at all in HTML5 but after much troubleshooting I found that HTML5 is just a horrific multi-tasker. What I ended up having to do to make them function is create delays (i.e. some triggers happening at .25, some at .5 etc.) and/or intermediary processing layers. I also found that any button that went to a slide, that had a trigger at the beginning of the slide, had to have that trigger delayed to .25 to avoid crashes.
These issues are hugely time consuming and making Storyline look like a time and money waster to my company which is pushing harder for use of other development tools to deal with the flash end of life issue.