Storyline 3 crashes

Jun 02, 2017

Hello there,

Storyline 3 experienced an error when I tried to do a right click on a slide in order to change the slide layout. It appears to be the error occurs when Storyline tries to list all layouts in a project. However, the project doesn't contain more than 6 layouts. Also this error happens in the earlier versions of Storyline. It's interesting to mention the error occurs from time to time. 

7 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Peek,

I haven't seen that error myself or a lot of mention of it here - but I'd like to know a bit more about your environment and how you replicate it. 

Can you let me know the following: 

• How many master slides do you have? Does each one have more than 6 layouts?
  • Are you working on local project files (on your C: drive or desktop) vs. a network/shared drive? 
  • Are you seeing this on brand new files created in Storyline 3 or files you upgraded From Storyline 2? 
  • Have you reached out to our Support Engineers to pull the crash logs?

Please let me know if I can help with anything else!

Irfan Starcevic

Hi Ashley,

Projects mainly contain more than two masters with several layouts. The error occurs when I do a right click on the slide and go to the layouts list. While I move mouse over the layouts thumbnails, as the result the program crashes. The same problem occurs on two separate computers, but mostly it occurs with files which are created with SL2.

I'm sending you this error report which Event Viewer saved:

Faulting application name: Storyline.exe, version: 3.1.12115.0, time stamp: 0x59388281

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.15063.296, time stamp: 0x28e9cf15
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000eb802
Faulting process id: 0x721c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2e4f536a8873c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Articulate\Storyline 3\Storyline.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 390888a8-8747-4b88-a521-50b89a5b0926
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Buel,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know you are running into an issue with crashing as well, that is certainly not the behavior we'd like you to experience.

I was able to pop in and take a look at the case Irfan worked on with our team and it was an issue specific to the environment, not the software, so I do not have an update to share with you regarding this.

It looks like you are using Storyline 360. Are you on the current version, which is Build 3.23.17522.0? If not, I'd advise updating to the latest version and if so, I'd advise a repair of the software.

You are also welcome to work 1:1 with one of our support engineers here if you'd prefer.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.