Storyline 3 vs. 360

May 04, 2017

I can see that Articulate appears to be advocating pretty hard for 360 over Storyline 3, based on the features comparison. My company won't pay for a subscription but they will buy me an upgraded license to Storyline 3... what do you guys think? Who has tried both and what is your opinion? Thanks!

19 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Roberta,

The big differences between Storyline 3 and Storyline 360 today is that Storyline 360 connects with the rest of the Articulate 360 suite of tools. 

Storyline 3 added 35 new features (that you'll also find in Storyline 36), including our new responsive mobile player, vastly improved HTML5 output, HTML5-first and HTML5-only publishing options, closed captioning, dial interactions, and new triggers events and motion path options for enhanced interactivity. We’re also adding a tables feature soon.

If continuous feature updates are important to you, then we recommend you consider Articulate 360, which includes Storyline 360. Storyline 360 will always be latest version of Storyline and is continuously updated with new features. Storyline 3 will be updated with fixes and features, just on a less frequent schedule. 

Check out this table to see how Storyline 3 compares to Storyline 1, Storyline 2, and Storyline 360.

Hopefully folks in the community are able to share their thoughts here too! 

Patrick Giommi

I must agree with Roberta. It appears Articulate is pushing hard for Articulate 360 vs. SL3. Our organization doesn't need all the bells and whistles of Art360 since we have paid for licenses for other software platforms that we use in our multi-faceted work, and we have paid for other subscriptions that we also use for a multitude of other items we produce. So, for us, Art360 is would just be paying for stuff we don't need. Just look at the size of the font in the pricing tables for Art360 vs. SL3 if you wish to see evidence of what is being emphasized. I'm not a fan of companies that play one platform over another, especially when it's the same company. Articulate should have gone with one product at a reasonable price and be done with it. Articulate, you've managed to turn a loyal supporter into a disgruntled user.

Keith Shull

I'm with Roberta & Pat on this. We're considering a move to Storyline (from Captivate). Other training groups w/ the company are using Storyline2. I just don't see any benefit w/ Art360 over Storyline 3 for our uses...lots of bells & whistles we don't need. Including the Studio 360 tools  seems redundant IMO. SL has most of these features already built in: ability to import an existing PowerPoint file (= Presenter), assessment creation (= Quizmaker), etc.

HOWEVER, there is the caveat that Brian mentions [comment moved to https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/my-take-on-storyline-3-vs-360 ]: "Articulate is NOT going to upgrade Studio 2013 and probably not going to create a Storyline 4." Assuming  he's right about never seeing a SL4 product, SL3 probably has a shelf life of about 3-4 years before Articulate stops supporting it. By that time, who knows what technologies will be out there?

As Pat mentions, it's clear that Articulate is pushing 360 HARD. Beyond the font size  that he mentions, there's the price comparison:
2 new SL3 licenses: $2,796 vs.
2 new licenses for 360 for Teams: $2,598.
A savings of $200 and you get the Content Library, Articulate Review, Rise, Preso, Peek, etc. Seems like an effort to emphasize & highlight one product over-against another. That MAY indicate an effort to eliminate one (SL3).

Like a parent who plays favorites & prefers one child over another, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Brian Cook

Sorry! I reposted under a new thread. It certainly seems like Articulate, like everyone else is moving us all to the yearly subscription. Not too much we can do about that.

Here's something else though. I talked to someone at Articulate about teams. I'm kinda digging it. Granted a team "seat" is about $300 more than the license, but you can transfer it much more freely. So if you have 2 IDs who may only use it half the time, you could basically "Share" a seat between the 2. In other words, both have the software on their computers, but only one at a time can use it. You could actually get away with one subscription.

I think this gets more relevant if you have 4 or 5 people that may need access per year, but maybe only 2 or 3 are using it all the time

IONE Trainer

With regard to pricing, yes, the SL3 license is more initially, but it's also a one time charge. 360 is a subscription and so (unless I'm way off base in my research here), you'll be paying some amount every year to keep your 360 license.

That is undoubtedly why (in my opinion) Articulate is pushing 360; the cloud based model has worked amazingly well for Adobe and they are simply trying to capitalize by following suit.

So in looking at only the facts and not the marketing (e.g features, overall cost, functionality in one version vs. the other), SL 3 seems like a far better choice... at least for me.

Keith Shull

Roberta's right about the subscription model working well for Adobe. It's esp. good for freelancers because their model is a monthly - not annual - charge...or at least it was when they first rolled it out. I took advantage of it for a single project, then ended my subscription, then renewed it when I needed their product(s) again.

Not quite as easy with the annual model.

Patrick Giommi

Working for an arm of government, it can often take weeks to have our network of computers roll through the update process/queue. Therefore, Articulate 360 would make more sense - being cloud-based, one is always using the latest/greatest version.

Contrary to what one might think, our department is not swimming in $$, and any opportunity to save a buck is much appreciated by Leadership. Like others on this thread, I do believe that SL3 won't see a successor. Who knows; by then we might all be using something completely different.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dawon,

Here's how transferring a 360 Teams seat will work:

Should an Articulate 360 Teams user no longer require use of Articulate 360 Teams, the administrator may reassign such usage rights to a new Articulate 360 Teams user, so long as the maximum number of Articulate 360 Teams users (for whom licenses have been purchased) is not exceeded,

Let me know if you have any other questions, and our Sales team would be happy to chat with you about how to set up your team. You can email them at Sales@articulate.com

Elizabeth Pawlicki

Hi Karen!  The licensing agreement for Storyline 2 allowed for it to be installed on two machines, so long as those two machines belonged to the same user.   With Articulate 360 Teams, each user who needs to use the products will need to have his or her own seat on the team, in accordance with the terms of service.  Then, each user can install the tools on two desktop and two mobile devices at a time, for a maximum of four total activations per user, but there is no sharing of users permitted.  I hope that helps!  If you'd like to read the full terms of service, they can be found here

Indrani Sen

Hi Leslie,

Thank you for reaching out.

As the above discussions seem dated, I wanted to know the current Articulate 360 Team and Articulate Personal Plans use for this current time period (2020.  Currently, we have Storyline 2 with two licenses.  As of now, we are deciding between Storyline 3 and 360.  Ideally, 2-3 members will be using these packages.  Is Articulate 360 Team a better option for 2-3 team members?  Or, should we stick to the 360 Personal use plan or Storyline 3?!

Thank you,

regards,

Indrani

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.