Storyline 360 and closed captions

Aug 29, 2017

Excellent work on the new closed captioning functionality in Storyline. Can you please detail how users with assistive devices would access these closed captions? From my testing with Review versions of my projects, it's onerous to navigate to the captions using the keyboard. Here's what I notice as the Tab order:

1.  Anything on the slide that is viewable by assistive tech.
  2. PREV and NEXT
  3. Menu, Resources, etc
  4. Volume,
  5. Captions
  6. Play
  7. Scroll bar
  8. Replay

And there doesn't appear to be any way for me to adjust the tab order of anything other than the material on the slide.

Do users with assistive tech experience something different? Is there a shortcut for users to turn on captions? [if not, can there be?]

Update: as per this page, I can create a button on the intro slide so that users can turn on captions for every slide, like this. Workable, but kinda clunky and less than ideal. Would be better to be able to set the tab order for all elements on the page, as well as the defaults for the player.

I'm also wondering if these captions are actual closed captions, or whether they are just a on-screen display version. Are they actually readable by the assistive tech?

-Kyle

1 Reply
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kyle, 

As I understand it, users who are hearing impaired would see the CC button and be able to click on it to enable the closed captions to read along as a video or slide audio plays. Users who are vision impaired would be able to listen/hear the audio as it plays. 

The player elements order can't be changed, but you can skip them. The custom tab ordering will be specific to the slide. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.