Storyline 360 and Layers

Jul 29, 2020

Greetings, I have a single slide presentation with 13 Layers that plays straight through like a video with each layer opening up the next at the end of each  timeline. However, when I run a preview or publish it, at Layer 9, usually half way through layer 9, it jumps back to Layer 1 and I can't figure out why.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks Mike F

9 Replies
Michael Frielingsdorf

Thanks for the help. Here is the file. This is still a work in progress so it's a bit dodgy and has no audio. 

Also, I made a version that the instructor would click a next arrow to continue to the next layer. However, when I published it as an MP4 it only played the 1st scene and wouldn't let me click next to go to the next layer. Is it even possible to do it this way?

Mike F

Tom Kuhlmann

Weird. I tested it and it works fine for me. Publish it to Review and see if it still does it after publishing.

Are you working from a local drive or network drive? Some people load the files on a network drive and open from there. That will cause issues.

A couple of tips:

• You have some triggers that do the same thing show layer on timeline end and arrow timeline end. I'd get rid of the extra trigger.
  • Layer 5 has two triggers to move an object on two different paths at the same time.
  • Any reason why you didn't use the record screen option to create this? It would have saved you a lot of time.
  • When you save as video, it is only going to be video. Videos don't support interactions.
  • Personally, if I was building this, I'd do a screencast recording rather than layer by layer. However, if you want to keep it the way you built it, I'd do the record screen and insert the "show me" mode. 

Side note: My dad was stationed at Ft Eustis. I loved that area. 

Michael Frielingsdorf

Thanks for the input Tom. If you mean do a direct video of the process while it's live on screen it isn't possible (sort of). The problem for me is I'm replicating an unclassified process that takes place on a classified system and getting an unclassified video from a classified server over to an unclassified server is WAY more trouble than it's worth. We haven't been able to make it happen in years. Especially since Snowdon leaked all those documents to wikileaks.

I will probably rebuild my current version as individual slides vs layers, I'll also look at doing the Record Screen but I don't know about the Show Me mode you mentioned. I'll have to find a video on that function. Also, I didn't realize there was a "Mouse" function which is really handy. Do you have to make a button for the mouse to go to like you showed? 

I obviously need to watch more saved webcast videos about recording the screen etc. And lastly, my boss likes Lectora better, aaaggghhh! I am not a big fan especially after getting this far since March with Articulate. I built an entire one hours course in Storyline 360 and I need to work on convincing her to stay with Articulate. Otherwise when it goes live we won't be able to make changes and updates etc, after January 2021. I've worked a little in Lectora and Storyline is way easier to figure out and has way more instructional videos etc.

Thanks again

Mike Frielingsdorf

Tom Kuhlmann

David's doing a webinar in an hour on screencasts and sims. Here's the previous recording.

https://training.articulate.com/webinars/creative-ideas-for-more-engaging-screencasts-in-storyline-360

Here's another one on creative ideas for them.

https://training.articulate.com/webinars/creative-ideas-for-more-engaging-screencasts-in-storyline-360

When you do the record screen, it would do a screencast video and then you can output 4 different ways: video, or 3 different interactive modes. The show me builds all of the things you're building automatically.

Curious about what she likes better about Lectora.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.