Storyline 360 and Reporting within our LMS

Apr 18, 2017

Hi all,

We are developing in Storyline 360 and I have some questions around the reporting within our LMS once a user has undertaken our assessments. We do use Scorm 1.2.

a) Does the reporting slide automatically send results back to the LMS or must I include the "Submit results" trigger for this to happen?

b) We would like to track a user's performance in our LMS even if they fail an assessment (i.e achieve less than the passmark for an assessment). The reason is our clients like to know how many attempts a user has has at an assessment before they pass it. Does Storyline 360 send a failed result back to our LMS automatically or only if the user passes the assessment?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Anthony, welcome to the community! 😀

a) You got it! You'll want to include a results slide with a 'Submit results' trigger to send data to the LMS. 

b)  When you publish for LMS, you can select how you want to report completion status to the LMS. It sounds like the Passed/Failed status is the best option for you. And here is a list of the data that Storyline sends to your LMS. Once that data is compiled in the LMS database, there's really no limit to what kind of analysis you can perform (assuming the LMS grants access to the data)!  I'd recommend reaching out to your LMS Administrator to find out what options they have available for reporting and data analysis. 

Anthony Ramos

Thanks Alyssa,

It appears that we have an issue and if possible I would be very interested in your ideas.

Please let me start by explaining our intention with this online course.

We wish to have 3 quizzes in our course and the user receives a total score after completing all 3 quizzes which is sent back to the LMS.

The user starts by accessing regular learning content and then attempts the first quiz which is 5 questions and shows the user their results for the first quiz on a results page but should not send any results back to the LMS. 

After that the user then accesses more learning content and then attempts a second quiz, also of 5 questions. Again the results for this second quiz only are displayed to the user on a results page but not sent back to the LMS.

More learning materials are presented and then a third quiz of 5 questions is presented to the user.

At this stage however, we wish to send a result for the total 15 questions back to the LMS.

I have set this up by having 4 results pages - one after each quiz (so the user can see their score for each quiz) and then the final Results Page after the third results page (and after the third quiz) which selects all 15 questions and has the Submit Results trigger on it.

However, this doesn't seem to work.

Is this the best way to set this arrangement up?

For your interest, when I place the "Submit Results" trigger on the first Results Page (after the first quiz) it does work. When it is moved away from here (even to the second quiz Results Page) it fails.

I haven't tested on the SCORM cloud but have tested by directly connecting to our LMS.

Thanks in advance.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Anthony,

You've done a great job setting up the course! You're correct that you need four results slides--one after each quiz, and one final results slide to combine the scores of all three quizzes.

Each results slide will need a Submit Results trigger, which tells Storyline to calculate the quiz score. Without that trigger, the quiz doesn't count in the overall total score.

From here, add the Submit results trigger to each results slide. Then, when you publish for LMS, select the last results slide in the Reporting and Tracking Options.

Give it a try, and let me know if that helps!

Anthony Ramos

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks very much - that has solved our problem with our 3 quiz course! I had been playing around endlessly and missed that setting completely! I am going to test with a more complex course (that has 5 quizzes) tomorrow.

On a side note - does it really matter whether you choose passed/fail, completed/incomplete? I notice our course seems to work irrespective of this setting. Are you able to advise what actually happens behind the scenes with these settings so I can better understand their real purpose? 

Alyssa Gomez

That's a great question. It really depends on how your course is set up. 

• If you're tracking a quiz score, use Passed/Failed or Passed/Incomplete, since you'll want to report both a completion status and a success status.
  • If you're tracking completion based on number of slides viewed, use Completed/Failed or Completed/Incomplete, since you'll want to report only the completion status.
Cognicata LLC

We have a very interesting scenario where our client wants a single course build that includes English and 12 translations.  The course is required and must be completed within a client-determined window.  It also includes a survey question that must be tracked at the individual level.

We assumed there are two approaches-course layers and branching.

With course layers, we experienced a bit of sluggishness that we assume  is related to the variables required to determine which language to show on each slide.

With branching the course presented quite well.  Each branch contains a Result Slide associated with the individual language and there is a single Result Slide in the final (shared) scene that captures the data from each Result Slide.

Since the course must complete we tried tracking with the number of slides viewed (and setting the number of slides based upon the length of one branch).  Using this feature we cannot seem to obtain data from the overall Result Slide in their LMS - Cornerstone on Demand.  We have also tried tracking using the overall Result Slide but then the course will not complete without adding Java Script.  The client does not want Java Script added because many of their international sites do not keep their systems up-to-date and any add-on generally leads to trouble tickets.

We have also considered embedding the survey question into the course using Google Forms, but we cannot determine how to ensure completion since the question is required.

Any ideas?  We are fresh out!! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.