Storyline 360 and screen readers - previous and next buttons

May 20, 2020

Could you give me an update on Storyline 360's development to improve how (Jaws) screen readers reads the previous and next buttons on the player? I've been told by my accessibility team that I must add "previous" and "next" text on each slide when I create in Storyline 360 because the screen reader does not recognize the player buttons. I'm told that the screen reader only reads within the slide itself. 

This  creates a lot more work and doesn't enhance the design of the module. 

I've been reading other posts from people with the same issue. I don't see any current answers from Articulate. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Reply
Lauren Connelly

Hi Valerie!

I'm happy to help!

We currently have a bug reported where JAWS isn't reading the previous and next buttons on the player if they're set to disabled. By chance, are the navigation buttons set to disabled?

If you don't have the buttons disabled, then you should hear JAWS read "Next Button. Press Enter to Activate"

Do you hear something different from JAWS? 

Lastly, if you have a file that you want me to take a look at, feel free to either attach it to this discussion using the Add Attachment button. You can also share it privately by using this link.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.