Storyline 360 - Blank menu section & Hot spots not working

Sep 28, 2017

I have a Storyline scene with imported PowerPoint slides. I have numerous screencasts in both the View and Try modes that the user plays by clicking a link in the presentation. I have the menu set to be off for the View mode. For the Try mode it is on. When I preview the content the View mode fills the screen and looks good, but when I publish the content there is gray panel where the menu would be and screencast does not fill the full frame. Any suggestions on how to make this happen? 

Also, I have a hot spot that works in the preview just as expected, but there is no recognition of my clicking it in the published output. The click immediately preceding it does work. Additionally, I have a frame that works perfectly in the preview, but in the published output the entire frame is black except the textbox that has been added and the caption.  Any ideas on the reasons and resolutions for these errors?

5 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Wendy, let's tackle these one at a time!

1. Extra space in the player: If the menu is removed from the player sidebar for some slides, you'll see empty space in the player. Storyline doesn't shrink the player or expand the slide size when the menu is removed because that would cause issues with resizing and scaling. Maintaining the slide size and overall player dimensions allows for the most seamless transition as users navigate from one slide to the next.

Instead, you may want to look at moving the menu to a topbar tab. That way, removing the menu from some slides will not create empty space in the player. 
  2. Problems with hotspot and frame: It's hard to say what could be causing this without seeing your file. Would you mind sharing a copy with me? Feel free to share only the troublesome slides instead of the entire file. 
Wendy McGarvey

Thank you for responding to my questions and your willingness to help me resolve the issue.

I have gone ahead and just added the menu back to the frames, but removed the titles for each slide displaying when in the View mode. This would be a resolved issue.
We found that selecting to hide the screen recording on the timeline gave a smoother presentation in the View mode and took care of the odd black frames. Now when I view the Try mode in the published file after the first few frames, every frame seems to jump between steps and the Prev and Next buttons display inconsistently, even though on the slide properties they are unchecked. This can be compared in 1 and scene 6. You can access these links through the fifth slide.

Wendy McGarvey

Thank you for the reply. I am still seeing the jumping when I get part way through a Test of the simulations. I did realize last night what is causing the issue. The menu has the text wrapped. As the menu scrolls down with each step it jumps for displaying the wrapped text. I took the wrapped text off and the issue was resolved. There are still some quirks and inconsistencies with how it responds in the Try mode, but I am able to move forward with this at the moment. Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Wendy M. McGarvey
Senior Training Consultant, Platform Adoption
Performance Readiness Solutions Group
Office: 614.397.9166
GP Strategies Corporation
https://www.gpstrategies.com

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.