Storyline 360 closed captions behind video

Nov 28, 2018

Hi,

generated closed captions in a video in a lightbox.

In preview mode you see the closed captions on top of the video, if I'm publishing for web the captions seem to be behind the video. (Chome web browser, latest storyline firmware version,...)

Player.DisplayCaptions= true;

send to back doesn't work

cannot find how to fix, 

18 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jan, so sorry you ran into this! You mentioned you're on the latest version of Storyline 360, but can you confirm what version number you're using?

To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.22.17236.0 in the bottom-right corner. 

If you're already on that version, please send us a copy of your file here. We're ready to help!

Jan Ketels

Hi,

About your question on version of Storyline is indeed 3.22.17236
Reported this also to your helpdesk. (Case #01606055)

Hi Jan, so sorry you ran into this! You mentioned you're on the latest version of Storyline 360, but can you confirm what version number you're using?

To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.22.17236.0 in the bottom-right corner.
If you're already on that version, please send us a copy of your file here. We're ready to help!

Best regards,

Jan Ketels

Training Program Manager Corporate
E jan.ketels@barco.com | T +32 56 26 2052 | M +32 471 92 92 00

[http://barcozone.barco.com/PublishingImages/barco-logo-web.png]

ENABLING BRIGHT OUTCOMES
Barco NV | www.barco.com
Beneluxpark 21 | 8500 Kortrijk | Belgium

This message is subject to the following terms and conditions: MAIL DISCLAIMER

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jan,

Thanks for letting me know you're also in a support case. I saw that Robert was able to confirm the issue you're running into, where Closed Captions go behind the video when inserted in a lightbox and viewed using Modern Player, and has reported that to our team.

We'll keep you posted on that issue here and in your case.

Also, FYI it looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Ren Gomez

Hi Everyone,

Good news! We fixed an issue where closed-captions go behind the video when inserted in a lightbox and viewed using Modern Player.

Here's how to install the latest Storyline 360 update to see all the recent enhancements and fixes.

If the problem reappears, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me, and I'll be happy to help!

Vincent Scoma

Hi Mary,

Thank you for reaching out! 

To make sure I am on the same page, are the captions not appearing when previewing the course? If so, it may be possible that the Captions are not enabled in the player controls: 

We have a great resource that provides more details on this here: Showing or Hiding the Closed Captioning Button on the Player

If that doesn't quite line-up with what you are experiencing, please let us know! 

Mary Johnson

Hello,

The information you sent me worked perfectly and I was able to insert and program the captions. However, when I published the course as a video, the captions flicker while the video is playing. I tried to correct this by adjusting to a high quality level. Please note there is no audio. Can you suggest ways to adjust the video settings to eliminate the captions from flickering in the video?

Thanks much!
Mary

Mary Johnson
Sr. Learning & Development Training Manager
Learning Solutions, M&D Strategy & Operations
LMS Questions? Please visit the Global LMS User Support Portal or reach out to LMS support directly at LMS User Support<mailto:LMS

Vincent Scoma

Hi Mary,

I am glad to hear that the information helped! Regarding your second question, I am sorry to hear that is happening! Let's see if we can figure this out. Would you be able to share your file for further troubleshooting? 

You can share files to this thread, or you're always welcome to share them privately here. I'll let you know my findings and will delete it after having a closer look!

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Mary,

It looks like the messages may have crossed in the sky :)

I see that the confirmation e-mail has been sent to you and you should be hearing from Vincent soon.

It looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Maude and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for sharing the issue you are experiencing in Storyline. You mention that this is happening in preview. Are you using the timeline preview below the slide or the preview in the ribbon?

Are you seeing the same issue when publishing?

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Mary Johnson

If you want the learner to always view the triggers, then you can use triggers to automatically play for you. I needed to publish my course as a video, and the captions did not work properly. To fix this, I added text boxes in the white space below the video and adjusted timing on when they should appear/disappear.

Using Triggers to Turn Captions On and Off
If the closed captioning button is enabled on your course player (see above), learners can toggle captions on and off whenever they want. However, you can also control captions via triggers. Just adjust the built-in Player.DisplayCaptions variable to either True (on) or False (off).

Here are a couple scenarios where you might control captions via triggers and how to set them up.

Turn Captions On by Default
Captions are turned off by default, but if most of your learners need captions, you might want to turn them on automatically when the course starts. Just add a trigger to the first slide in your course with these trigger wizard parameters:

Action: Adjust variable
Operator: = Set
Variable: Player.DisplayCaptions
Value: Value = True
When: Timeline starts
Object: Select the first slide in your course from the drop-down list.

Build Your Own Custom Navigation Buttons
If you disable the built-in player features and build your own custom navigation buttons, you can use triggers to show and hide captions. Just add a trigger to a button with these trigger wizard parameters to create a toggle:

Action: Adjust Variable
Operator: Toggle
Variable: Player.DisplayCaptions
When: User clicks
Object: Select your custom button from the drop-down list.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.