Storyline 360 - Content (video) freeze on iphone device

Aug 26, 2021

Hey everyone, 

I am facing some issues with courses published with Storyline 360 intended to be played on iPhone via an LMS app.

Our courses contain videos and during testing, the content randomly freezes on the smartphone, via the LMS app but via web browser as well.

Has anyone encounter such issue ? How to solve it ?

Here are the testing details :

Device model: Iphone 11 Xs
Operating system: IOS 14,4
CORNERSTONE APPSafari
Bandwidth type : wifi - 2,8 mo/s

Thanks !

Cheers

9 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Christophe.

Thank you for reaching out!

For testing purposes, have you attempted to publish it to the web to see if it works when played on iOS?

For SCORM, my initial recommendation would be to test your course with SCORM Cloud. Check out this step-by-step article!

If it works as expected in SCORM Cloud when using it with an iPhone, I would advise you to reach out to your Cornerstone for more information, as it could be an issue on their end. 

If you still see the same behavior in SCORM Cloud, or if you need additional help, my recommendation would be to open a support case here, so we can take a closer look at your settings.

Let me know if this works!

Russell Still

We've been fighting a possibly similar battle. Some embedded MP4 video will freeze on the first frame on iPads using either Safari or Firefox. Have not yet tested Chrome. And to make it even more confusing, some videos play normally on iPads.

In either case, these same videos play on a "normal" computer without problems.

Russell Still

The problem, Christophe, is that HTML5 touch requirements are based on a "media engagement index". This means the browser intelligently decides whether or not a new piece of media can execute. The original goal was to prevent web surfers from being accosted with pop-up ads. This is not an iOS bug. 

The MEI is calculated differently on mobile devices than on desktop/laptop devices, For whatever reason, this issue of freezing videos is most prevalent on Apple mobile devices. 

The workaround is to force a user screen interaction immediately before playing the video. Obviously, a horrible solution if you're trying to create a smoothly running presentation. Plus, it doesn't always work.

This has been a problem in Storyline for as long as it has existed. Most people don't see it happen often because they either don't use much embedded video, or don't have large numbers of users.