Storyline 360 Course Won't Launch in Google Chrome

Nov 26, 2018

I've just published a Storyline 360 course that I'm working on for a client and cannot share the file in the online forums but need an answer ASAP. I'm new to Storyline 360 and did not realize that I needed to check the desktop app interface for updates and had just been launching Storyline directly from my Windows search box.

Upon publishing, I was unable to launch my eLearning in Chrome or Firefox. I then learned that an update was needed to solve this issue. I have updated, restarted my computer, cleared my browser cache and I still cannot open this published html file in Chrome . This file originated from a Storyline 2 file and was updated in case that might be part of the problem. Please help! My client is waiting and I'm concerned that this Storyline issue might damage my reputation. Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

12 Replies
Hans Christian Macaraeg

Hello Monique,

I can only imagine the inconvenience this is causing you and i understand the urgency of the matter. It seems like you did the best you could to fix the issue. I will also take the route you take to solve it. The best nest step to take is have the support team take a look at it. Please create a case support as soon as you are able. The support engineers will do their best to have you rectified as soon as possible. 

You can contact support here: https://articulate.com/support/contact/case

Hope that you get sorted out the soonest possible time.

Wish you all the best.

Monique Babin

Hi Christian,

Thank you for the speedy reply!  I did create a support ticket.  Thank you.  

Case Number: 01603967

I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing the issue.  I even created a stripped down version of my Storyline 360 template so that I could share it here in the forums, but when I tested it, that version launched on Google Chrome just fine.  So I thought, okay, I'll just move the slides into my new file that I created for sharing and reset all the triggers.  After the couple of hours that it took for me to do that, I published and went to launch it in Google Chrome and I get the same gray screen that won't launch (see screen capture).

I convinced this new client that I can do this work ... and I can.  :)  But I can't get it to launch in Google Chrome.  :(  The combination of the fact that it's a new client and my work being due makes this all the more critical.  Is there a way to escalate my ticket?  Articulate says that it can take up to two days that I do not have.

I'm not sure if the issue is the fact that the client shared files in Storyline 2 and I've upgraded to Storyline 360 ... or if it's something else.  I examined the player properties closely for both files (those that will and won't launch in Chrome) and they seem to be identical.

In addition to updating and restarting (twice) and clearing the cashe, I've also named the files with new names and tried launching them from new locations and that doesn't seem to help either.

I am all out of ideas.  Any suggestions that anyone has will be greatly appreciated at this point.  Thanks so much!

Monique

Monique Babin

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support.  I was really baffled over what could be happening. Some courses that I've published in Storyline 360 have launched in Google Chrome just fine, but for some reason, this one just wouldn't.  Here is the culprit ... I was launching the file locally, just as I have so many times before.

But today I just learned this (see below).  Thanks so much to Miker and everyone!  I will sleep a lot better tonight!  :)
----------------------------------

Here's Miker's explanation of the problem ....

I noticed that you're viewing the published for Web output locally.

When you view a Storyline 360 course on your local hard drive, you'll encounter security restrictions from the computer, web browser, Flash Player, and network that can cause various features of the course to fail. To test your published content and share it with others, it's best to upload it to a web server or LMS. See this article for details:

https://www.articulate.com/support/article/Storyline-360-Publishing-and-Sharing-Content

I would advise to publish your courses to Articulate 360 (aka Articulate Review) and view it from there. This way, you are automatically publishing the course to an online server.

Monique Babin

Hi,

I'm experiencing this problem again.  I reached out to Miker again, directly in an email, but am also posting here in case anyone sees it sooner or knows what the issue might be.

This time, I've published directly to Articulate 360 review to review my course. But yet again, I get a gray screen and the course does not launch if I'm viewing it in the Chrome browser.  It's fine in Firefox and Edge, but in Chrome ... just a gray screen and no course launch (see below).

Any ideas? Thanks to anyone who can help!

Nigel Edmead

I've noticed the same thing that Monique has reported. I had SL 2 project that was upgraded to SL 360, it uses the modern player (so HTML 5 output) and was published locally (and tested with IE 11, Chrome and Firefox) as well as to Review 360 and I see the same thing - i.e. player & controls but no content; it's like it's stuck (but no spinner). Even if I press the play button nothing happens. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi t d!

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that you are running into a similar issue.

I looked through the support cases for the users above in this conversation and it seems that each one had a different cause/resolution, so I do not have a specific resolution to share with you.

I'd be happy to help you though :)

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.