Storyline 360 Courses showing blank screen when the SCORM package is replaced in the LMS

Nov 13, 2020

Wondering if anyone can help.

We have encountered some problems recently since updating SL360 - There have been a few old courses which we have had to make amends on recently. We have been doing the exact same as usual, publishing to LMS (SCORM 1.2) and updating the packages within our LMS.

However, we have encountered a number of our users who had previously entered the course before the amends, who have then gone back into the course after the package has been updated, only for them to encounter a blank screen as nothing will load.

In some cases where we have a course with a prompt to restart or resume at the beginning, this page will load, but upon selecting resume, it will blank screen and let our learners go no further. Most of these courses are not ones that you want to restart if you're halfway through as they are majorly chunky!! 

I have seem a similar post regarding Rise courses, but nothing for Storyline in particular so thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone else has encountered this or knows of a solution!

3 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your post, and I'm sorry to hear about the blank screen. I'm keen to find a fix!

First, a few questions to see if we can spot a trend:

• Do your learners see this happen on specific slides within the courses, or is it sporadic?
  • Which browser(s) are they using to view the content?
  • Which LMS are you using?

Lastly, I'm curious to test one of the files in SCORM Cloud—an LMS testing tool—to compare how it loads there versus the LMS. You can use this private case link.

Laura Dodds

Hi Katie,

• There doesn't appear to be a pattern on the specific slides within the course and also seems to be happening across a number of different courses too. Also not to all learners experience the same problem. 
  • The default browser for most of our learners would be Internet Explorer, however we have had reports of this happening across Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla. When learners report this to us, the default browser we test on is Google Chrome. We also encounter this issue when we imitate the user who has reported the issue. 
  • We use Totara

I have also tested the files in SCORM Cloud myself and can not seem to replicate the issue we are experiencing!

Thanks,

Laura

Vincent Scoma

Hi Laura,

Thank you for sharing those insights with us! 

Since the course is working properly at SCORM Cloud but not in your LMS, it indicates to me that there could possibly be a snag on the LMS side. I would recommend opening a support case with your LMS provider to see if they can provide us some more insights here. 

Please keep us updated on this and let us know if you have any questions! We are happy to help! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.