Storyline 360 crashes with subtitle file (.srt)

Aug 02, 2018

Hello,

I have a simple project of one video in one slide that needs closed captions added.

If I preview the video by itself, it plays fine. But if I add the .srt file I get a message saying that Articulate may crash and then it stops the progress, Articulate doesn't fully crashes but I never get to see the preview.

This also happens if I want to publish the project, after some progress I get the same message. 

I haven't been able to find a workaround this, the .srt file seems to be normal, if I open the video and the file using VLC the subtitles are displayed correctly. The .srt file has the same name that the video also. Does the .srt need to be save in any special encoding? I've tried 'ANSI, UNICODE AND UTF-8' and they all crashed.

Any help will be appreciate it, thank you.

UPDATE:  I tested by just adding a few lines of the .srt file (60 lines instead of over 800) and the video and captions are able to be previewed. Is there a limit on how many lines a subtitle file must have to be able to work in Storyline 360?? 

8 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hello Manu,

I see you've been working through this with my colleague Wilbert, and it looks like this is a software bug.  We did find that you can divide the video and captions into two files, and you should be able to preview and publish the file without a hitch.

Hopefully that workaround is an option for you, and we'll keep you posted on our progress. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Bryan R.

Hi All,

I have been experiencing the same issue - videos with captions under about 40 minutes seem to do fine.  But videos with captions over about 40 minutes appear to crash upon preview or publication.  Remove a chunk of characters, and the project publishes fine again...there does appear to be a character limit.  Can the team comment on the status of this issue?  Diving videos into two or three parts is an option to workaround the issue, but when working with many videos, this becomes impractical.

Thank you very much!

Bryan

Katie Riggio

Very sorry you've come across this problem, Bryan. We're still monitoring this oddity, so I appreciate you letting us know that it's affecting your project! 

Would you be able to share your .story file with our Support Engineers? With your permission, we'll run some tests on the project and will delete it when we're done troubleshooting. You can share it with our team by using this upload link!

Katie Riggio

Good morning, Bryan!

We appreciate sharing your project with us! Providing more examples allows our team to have additional testing scenarios and to look into fixes for as many course authors as possible. Thanks again, and we promise to keep this discussion updated with any changes to this bug - in both Storyline 3 and 360!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi everyone,

Great news!  We just released another update for Articulate 360, and included a few important fixes that you'll see in the release notes here

The item you'll be interested in is:

In some cases, a course wouldn't preview or publish when it had videos with closed captions.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.