Storyline 360 crashing when previewing/publishing

Dec 11, 2019

When trying to preview or publish my content (new and old), storyline crashes. Only started happening once installed update last week. Thoughts?

5 Replies
Jerry Beaucaire

A tip to get around this issue, not fix it.  You can quickly rollback your SL to a previous version when something like this crops up.

1. Open the Articulate Installer
  2. Open the hidden dropdown to the left of the OPEN button
  3. Select OTHER VERSIONS 
  4. Click INSTALL on the last known working version for you.

(I'm currently still on the September version of SL360)

Katie Riggio

Hi, Lisa. So sorry to hear Storyline is crashing on you!

An excellent tip from Jerry, and a simple Storyline 360 repair can also help since a fresh copy typically does the trick in such moments. Admin privileges are needed during this process, and I can see how this creates a roadblock for some folks.

Let me share this with our Support team to determine our next steps. I've opened a case on your behalf, so look out for an email from support@articulate.com soon!

Sandy Henderson

I realize this thread is a year old, but I was running into the same issue and I stumbled upon a solution for my situation - not sure if it will work for everyone.

In my case, my file stopped previewing/publishing after I manually added captions to audio on one specific slide. I stumbled upon black text in my notes panel. Since it was black text on a black background, I didn't realize that notes had come through when I imported the PPT slides. I deleted the text in the notes and the file started previewing again. 

Again, not sure if all the problems are related to the notes panel conflicting with captions, but I figured it was worth putting out there. 

Katie Riggio

What a find, Sandy!

It sounds like a corrupt object (text in the notes panel) broke the publish/preview options. I'm sorry for the trouble, and I appreciate you sharing what worked for you with the community!

P.S. If anyone runs into a similar snag, we'd love to help! You can share the Storyline file with our Support team through this private case link.