Storyline 360 - Drag and Drop Issue

Nov 30, 2016

I have recently upgraded to Storyline 360 and have just encountered my first issue. I have set up a drag and drop screen with and 2 drop zones and ~13 drag items. When you drag an item onto the correct zone it gets stuck to the cursor and does not drop properly.

I have played around with revealing items one at a time and letting items drop on incorrect drop zones, but to no avail.

I know it is still new but still any help would be appreciated.

80 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey everyone,

I have some great news!  
We just released another update for Storyline 360, and included a few important fixes and new features that you'll see in the release notes here 

This update fixes the issue where drag-and-drop interactions wouldn't work in HTML5 output when markers were used as drag items or when drag items snapped to drop targets in a tile layout.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly!

Harriet Logan

Hi there!!

Since this new SL update a few weeks ago, I can't make drag and drops work properly. 

I have attached an example of what I'm trying to do:

-  There are 8 dag items and 4 drop targets.

- The drag items have 2 states:
1. The Normal State (small state)
Used when the drag items are in their initial place, in the orange rectangle.
2. The "New State" (bigger state)
Used when the drag items leave the "Hotspot_Réinitialisation" hotspot and are placed on the drop targets.

What doesn't work here?
1. The drag item won't stick to the drop target.
2. I've never managed to make the drag item change to its Normal State when it is automatically sent back to its initial place.

Any help?
When's the new update?

Thanks a lot,
Harriet

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Harriet,

Thanks for allowing me to have a closer look at your file. I'm seeing the same thing you described--the interaction doesn't seem to work correctly in Storyline 360, but it does work in Storyline 3 (which is similar to previous updates of Storyline 360).

I'd like to have our Support Engineers take a closer look at this to determine what could be causing the problem. I've opened a case on your behalf--keep and eye out for an email from our team!

Leslie McKerchie

Hello everyone,

Great news!  We just released another update for Articulate 360, and included a few important fixes that you'll see in the release notes here.  

The item you'll be interested in is:

Drag items with states wouldn't always drop onto targets in HTML5 output.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Alyssa Gomez

I apologize, Katie. That was my oversight! After some more research, this bug doesn't happen in Storyline 3--we only found the problem in Storyline 360. 

Do you have a drag and drop interaction in Storyline 3 that isn't working correctly? If so, can you share it with me here? If this is a different bug than the one we have on file, we want to know about it so we can begin looking at a fix.

Thanks!

Katie Corcoran

Interesting. We've experienced issues with drag-and-drop questions in Storyline 3. The main issue is that the drag item doesn't stick to the drop target if shuffle answers is selected. The workaround is to not randomize the answer choices. However, I also have a quiz where the answers are not randomized and they won't center correctly on the drop target. I'll put together a file with several examples and send it to you so you can take a look at it.

Scott Syer

My issue is that I have built a drag n drop that seems to work for a good majority of my target audience, but I have a few people that when they hover the drag item over the target and try to drop it...it just jumps back to the original position.  It won't allow them to drop anything.  I have asked them to use both flash and html5.  Neither work for them.  Any ideas?  Is it a browser issue?

Leslie McKerchie

Great news! We just released Update 3 for Storyline 3. This includes quite a few important fixes and some new features as well. Check out all the details in the release notes here.

The item you'll be interested in is:

Drag item does not snap to drop target or release when answers are shuffled

Be sure to download and install the latest version of Storyline 3.

Let us know if you have any questions either by reaching out here or to our support engineers directly here.

Larry Pickle

I am experiencing the issue of the drag item sticking to the cursor in SL360 as well. It happens when you drag the item to the incorrect target. On V3.17. Not using the freeform option - completely custom programmed - so there are no D&D settings to adjust. No groups - text box only. Please take a look at my file and let me know if there are any fixes or workarounds.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Larry,

Thanks for sharing your file. I published it with the latest update of Storyline 360, Update 18 and posted it here.  In the test, some of the items could be dragged more than once, so it may be something with the custom triggers you have to change the states. Is that what you're finding, that it's not each item but only some of them?

With such a long list of triggers it could be a difference in the triggers you've added, so I'd suggest double checking those and if you can narrow it down that way it may be easier to spot what is causing the behavior. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 23 for Storyline 360! It includes new features and fixes - check them all out here.

Here's the one you will be particularly interested in:

Fixed: In drag-and-drop interactions, drag items didn't always move with your mouse or stay where you dropped them.

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to take advantage of everything the latest release has to offer. Let me know how you make out!

Cindy Pandke`

Thanks so much. This is exciting.

We found that if a drag or drop item had a dotted outline - that would stop it from working.
We removed all of the dotted outlined objects and things are working great now.
Looking forward to seeing the remaining updates available in this release.

Crystal Horn

Hey everybody. I'm excited to let you know that we released update 6 for Storyline 3! It includes enhanced features and fixes - Check them out here.

One fix addressed an issue where drag items were intermittently displaced when they were moved with motion paths.

Click here to download the latest version of Storyline 3. Let me know if you need more help!

Irina Poloubessov

Hey Alyssa,
I am experiencing exactly this bug, objects won't stick to the incorrect target.
I am using custom drag and drop so I cannot edit the drop target options.

I use dotted outline target that Cindy mentions - it used to work before the upgrade of the Storyline (I created a year ago an interaction and just duplicated it and it is not working now with the updated Storyline). However I also tried flat objects and it does not work anyway when dotted objects are present.
Any timeline for fixing this bug?

I am in contact with support, but I attach also my file here