Storyline 360 Drag and Drop with variables

Jun 03, 2019

Good evening all, 

I'm working on a project for a medical client where based on nuggets of information (provided over a series of slides), the students will need to select and rank order 5 possible diagnoses out of a potential list of 20-25 total options. 

to try to clarify... for the first scenario, students will be provided some baseline information about a patient, and they will need to select 5 possible diagnoses out of a much larger list. They will then move on to the second scenario, where there will be additional information provided about the same patient, and based on which the students will need to again select and rank 5 potential diagnoses from the larger list. The kicker here is that the client would *like* the 5 diagnosis options shown in Scenario 1 to appear in Scenario 2 so they can see what they selected in Scenario 1, and to evaluate if their diagnosis has changed. (Kind of a pseudo venn diagram). 

And, the client does not want students to have to type the diagnoses into the rank boxes (which I think would be the easiest way to solve, but isn't what they want). For the initial scenarios, there's isn't really a prescribed 'correct/incorrect' sequence. Students can select any 5 of the 20-25 options, and place them in any order. 

Thus, I'm at a loss. Any suggestions you could provide would be most gratefully appreciated!

3 Replies
Ned Whiteley

Hi Melissa,

In the attached example, I have provided four options (Options 1, 2, 3 and 4) on the first slide from which you can drag and drop any two into the selection boxes on the right hand side (numbered in order of preference).

When you select the Next button, you jump to slide 2 where you are provided with another options list that contains your two previous selections in order, followed by an additional four options. You can then select any of the original or new options and drag and drop them into the selection boxes on the right hand side.

When you select the Next button, you jump to the final slide where your final selection is shown in order. If you wish to repeat the process, just click the Reset button.

I have achieved this by using four variables, Selection1 and Selection2 for the first slide  and Selection3 and Selection4 for the second slide. On slide 1, the variables are set to the text that is in the appropriate option text boxes if they are dropped on the relevant target. On the second slide, the same process is repeated except that the value of variables Selection1 and Selection2 are used as the new value of Selection3 or Selection4 if either of the first two options are again selected.

The value of variables Selection3 and Selection4 are then used to display the end result on slide 3. Hopefully this makes sense.

This technique should work just as easily for five selections as for the two I have shown here. All you should need to do is to add the extra variables and increase the triggers accordingly. Just make sure that when you go to the second slide, you use the variables from slide 1 to arrange the list in the correct order by using these values as the content of your first five text boxes.

I hope this gives you some ideas. If you have any queries, just get back to me here.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.