Storyline 360 Errors

Jan 25, 2017

My LMS is reporting infrequent/rare uncaught JavaScript errors in Storyline 360 courses.  Sometimes on a MAC, sometimes on an iPad. I saw the error myself once running the latest Google Chrome on Windows 7. (see attached snapshot)

The error is a modal window that interrupts the learner session yet the course continues to run properly when the modal window is closed. This sounds like an "uncaught" JavaScript error. Probably one that Articulate developers felt was not serious.

The bug can't be reproduced on demand so there's no point in spending resources trying to repeat the error.  This bug is reported maybe once when 1,000 learners take a course.

Is there any fix for the Storyline JavaScript files where a global Try/Catch could be applied so the error doesn't percolate up to the LMS course wrapper? I've edited core files in the past for Presenter and SL1 so this is most likely possible for SL 360.

Sam

3 Replies
Brian Dennis

I'd suggest you work through your users to isolate the browser (and its version). I'd be highly suspect your LMS is injecting it's own hooks into the page DOM & Javascript. Part complexity, and part odd role for the LMS. Given the (poor) typography of the dialog you screen captured, your LMS is more likely trapping a service side (file) object 404 error. Global try/catch isn't really the correct programming paradigm to troubleshoot. Good luck. Very technical issue especially giving the sporadic nature of the issue

Sam Carter

I found an element that will kill the course every time. It is a radio button, created in SL2, imported into SL360. If I remove the DOWN state from the radio button, it works without error. Leaving the DOWN state in, crashes every time.

Oddly, if I create a radio button in SL360 which includes a DOWN state, it works fine.

Submitted a case.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.