Storyline 360 - Export for Translation - Missing information when Importing back into Storyline 360

Good day all,

I'm having issues w/ the translation feature in Storyline 360. I've never had this problem prior to 360, but when I export the module text and have it translated - everything works fine up to this point. I don't touch the codes on the left and they remain the same. When I import the translation, I have random empty fields in the module. If I run the same import again, some of those empty fields will now contain data, but other random fields are now empty.

Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it?

Thanks!

35 Replies
Angela Carey

Hello, I have found a different solution for this problem. I have found that I need to use the original (English) Storyline file for each import. Here's how I came to that conclusion:

When I first did my import, I would open the EN (Original) file, and import SP, save-as Spanish version, and then with the Spanish file still open, I would import another language, save-as new language, rinse and repeat. Doing it this way was fast and gave me no error messages, but I did find randomly missing text. It was not even consistently the same missing text box, which made proofing a nightmare. 

Then I tried using the original for each import: Opened EN, imported CH, Save-As Chinese file name. Then, before importing another language, I would close my Chinese file, open the English file, then import my next language. 

It takes a little longer this way, but not as long as fishing through each project looking for something that isn't there!

 

Dominik Ginthier

Hi Rasmus,

Unfortunately I haven't heard of any solution. I am using the workaround I described in one of the older posts. 

Before I import the translations, I am copying the English Storyline file and the Word documents to my local hard drive. I then turn off the Wifi and unplug the LAN cable. Once I am offline I start importing the languages. Works for me about 95% of the time. Maybe one text box is missing, but mostly everything is fine.

Angela's suggestion also sounds good. Both ways take additional time.

@Ashley Do you have any news? Do you know, what is causing the missing text boxes?

Best regards,
Dominik 

Ashley Terwilliger

HI Dominik,

No update on what the cause is here yet - but I see that Wilbert walked you through repairing Storyline. Did that help at all? 

If you're turning off Wifi and other elements, and that works, could there be some syncing to a network that you're not aware of? 

Rasmus, 

We'd like to see more examples of this so that we can keep testing and digging in. Can you reach out and share with our Support Engineers here?

Alyssa Gomez

Great news, folks!  We just released another update for Articulate 360, and included a few important fixes and new features that you'll see in the release notes here.  

The release included a fix for this issue: Text was sometimes missing after importing a translated Word document.

Simply install the latest update and re-import the translated Word document to take advantage of this fix. Let me know if you have any questions!

Teresa Brensdal

I have two Storyline 360 files that were translated into Portuguese. The first one imported back into the module perfectly. The second one said that the import was successful but all the text disappeared completely throughout the Storyline module. I moved both the translation and the Storyline module to the c drive and tried it again, same result. I have tried it multiple ways and it still ends up the same way. So I am just back to the good ole stand by of copy and paste. But it is really odd that nothing had been changed in the translation file, and they were both handled identically and only one would work. The bigger frustration is that I have several more large files in the pipeline and I don't relish the idea of copy and paste on them. Here's hoping someone has an epiphany on how to fix this issue.

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Teresa,

Where were the files stored originally if you were moving them back to the C drive? It's possible working off a network/shared drive caused some elements of corruption to appear in this file and that's why it wasn't importing back in correctly. 

Let us know if you see something similar again, and we're always around to take a look at your .story file and the translated Word doc. You can share here in ELH or send along to our Support team here. 

Teresa Brensdal

Hi, they were on the C drive originally when I exported them. I sent the exported files to our translator in Brazil for the Portuguese translations, explaining they should only use the column to the far right. They returned the files to me and everything in the left two columns of the file matched what I had sent them. I used the translation function to import them into the storyline module. The first file I imported worked beautifully. When I went to import the second one, it kept telling me that it wasn't able to import it. I ended up just doing the old tried and true copy and paste until I had the module completed. I just don't understand why one would work and the other would not.

Contact me if you need any further assistance!

Thank you!

Teresa N. Brensdal, MSCJ
HR Training, Project Manager
Customer Satisfaction
(901) 495-7629

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Teresa, 

Hm, it's hard to say what could have happened with that one file then without seeing it. If you'd like to share it with our Support team, they're happy to look. Upload it here with your .story file.

Note:  Replying via email will include your signature. You can edit out your contact information from your post if you'd like!