Storyline 360 file shuts down when opening it

Aug 29, 2018

I have a Storyline file that I think must be corrupt.  When I open the file, it opens, but when I scroll down toward the bottom of the file, Storyline stops working and shuts down.  It is an older file that has been complete for some time, and working just fine in our LMS. I am trying to make revisions to it. Is there a way to fix a bad file or figure out why this is happening?

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jan,

Corruption is notoriously difficult to pinpoint, but let's start by checking some of the basics things to resolve odd behavior: 

You may also be able to find an earlier copy of this project in your temp files. Here's how to check: 

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer:  

%Appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

Let me know how it goes checking on those steps, and if you're still stuck, my next suggestion is to work one on one with our Support Engineers!

Crystal Horn

Hey Jan. I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 20 for Storyline 360! It includes lots of improvements - check them all out here.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where some Storyline files were randomly crashing after update 19.   

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to take advantage of everything the latest release has to offer. Let me know how you make out!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.