Storyline 360 HTML5 only option

Nov 30, 2016

Is there a web page that lists which browser versions will run the Storyline 360 HTML5 only content?  

26 Replies
Sean Tenney

Hi Sam,

Not sure if Articulate has any specific specs on this, but from my testing, all of the courses that I have published in HTML5 have worked in IE, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Safari, and Opera. You will get slight differences in how the browsers interpret the HTML5 output.

I believe Articulate recommends Chrome for best experience.  Also, that said, HTML5 will only work in recent releases of these browsers... IE 8 will not support HTML5, and not sure how good the HTML5 output would look in IE9.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

The thought of IE8 should always make you nervous. ;-) 

If you know that your users are going to be using older browser that don't support the HTML5 specifications, I'd look at publishing for Flash first/HTML5 or HTML5 first/ Flash Fallback. That way it'll allow a user to view the HTML5 output if they have a browser with Flash disabled but those who will be on older browsers like IE8 would be presented with the Flash content. 

Will Findlay

What browser someone could potentially use at home on their own PC is an unknown. We anticipate that they will be using a variety of versions. What I would like is to be able to publish in HTML5, but also be able to inform the user that their browser is out-of-date if it won't support the content. Just having the content not play to me is disappointing behavior.

I can certainly understand not knowing all the browsers that folks may be accessing it through - perhaps you could look at providing some information prior to the course launch about supported browsers? There isn't a message built into Storyline to tell the user they're accessing on an unsupported browser, but it may be something folks in the community have created so hopefully they're able to share that with you here! 

Will Findlay

Thank you for the suggestion. This is definitely a good idea, but unfortunately people often do not read this kind of recommendation. I guess what I am saying is that I think that there should be a message built into Storyline (and Rise, and Presenter) to tell the user they're accessing on an unsupported browser.

Vispi Baria

Hi Ashley, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread and others, we have started publishing in Flash/HTML5.

What if the browser has flash enabled, but it's not the latest version? We have had many cases previously then content did not display correctly due to older versions of flash. It would be great if it would default to HTML5 in this case too, but I guess that's not possible as SL would need to know what the latest version is!

Vispi Baria

Thanks for your reply Alyssa. We provide all our courses via an LMS so have an FAQ with the following link to check their version: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html. Problem is, not everyone will read (or follow) the instructions wherever they are put!

So can you confirm that if a user has an old version of Flash, it will still play in Flash if the setting Flash/HTML5 is used?

Coral Brevig

That is exactly what I needed to know, thank you!

Do you have any idea whether IE has a timeline for when they will support masking animations in HTML5?

The animations also seem to break if we publish to HTML5/Flash... does that make sense to you? I would expect Flash to kick in for those, but I guess that isn't how it works.

Have you heard of anyone experiencing issues with quizzes in HTML5? One of our developers experienced trouble with a quiz when she converted from Flash to HTML5/Flash publishing. I don't have the specifics, but can get them.

Hi Coral, 

I don't have an idea from IE...but based on how quickly they've adopted some HTML5 standards in the recent past, I wouldn't want anyone to hold their breath. 😀 

If you're publishing for HTML5/Flash, and the browser can play HTML5 content in general, it won't default back to Flash. IE11 and Edge support HTML5, but that support is limited. 

Let me know when you get some more info on the quizzes that aren't working in HTML5.
I'd want to know:

• what update of Storyline 360 you're using (we're on update 7),
  • where/how the courses are being published/hosted, 
  • what browsers you're using to view the course, 
  • and, what is behaving differently than the Flash version.

You can upload your .story file in the ELH forums using the "add Attachment" button at the bottom of the reply window. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.