Storyline 360 Hyperlink Help needed

Sep 17, 2020

Hi Heroes! I have a need where I need to publish a course to our LMS which has no security restrictions. However, we need the user to open a propriety document that is secured on our servers. We want them to only be able to access the link if they are in the office or using VPN. My issue is SL360 adds the document to the published file. Is there a way to include a link to the documents without it being added to SL?

Thank you in advance... I need a solution!

Storyline will place a copy of each hyperlinked file in your published output. All hyperlinked files for a course will be stored in the published folder called story_content/external files.

4 Replies
Judy Nollet

Hi, Jan,

If you hyperlink to a file using a full web address (e.g., with an address that looks like this fake URL: https://www.ourcompany.com/secure/myfile.pdf), Storyline only links to the file. If the URL is within a firewall, the user would have to be logged in to be able to access it. But the file itself will not be included in the published content.

If you insert a hyperlink to a file on your desktop (i.e., a location that's not on the internet), then Storyline will copy the file into an external_files folder when the course is published. 

You can verify this by publishing your course (or just a slide with the link you want to add), and then looking at the published files. If the course only links to web addresses, you won't see an external_files folder in the story_content folder. 

Jonathan Huguenin

Hi Jan,

I've been in this situation before.

In your case, you would have to host the file on your secure servers (Intranet, SharePoint, ...).

Then you have to create the link to this document in Storyline (and not import the document into storyline).

This way, if someone follows your training without being in your offices or connected to your VPN, they will not be able to open the document.

Moreover, using this solution, you can update the document (if needed) without having to reintegrate it in Storyline.

I hope this has been helpful. Do not hesitate if you have any further questions.

Have a nice day

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.