Storyline 360 Incomplete keyboard menu structure - Audio Insert broken

Sep 21, 2020

When using the keyboard menu entry rather than a mouse, the "Audio" tab has been misconfigured.

Sequence being:

• Ctrl+F10, initialises menu
  • N - switch to insert tab
  • O - instantly triggers insert audio from file. This is obviously an error since the dropdown menu has letter indicators for each insert option to be used with a keystroke.

It also appears that the insert tab has some other config quirks since if you use the ctrl f10 from other than the home tab, only a part list is populated on the toolbar. 

Seems like a simple code fix and would enable macros etc to work correctly.

Cheers

Mike

3 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hi Mike!

Each of the keyboard shortcuts will direct you to the button, not the drop-down menu. When clicking the Audio button, your audio file will appear in your File Explorer. This is the same behavior when using the keyboard shortcut when inserting an audio file. We don't currently have keyboard shortcuts assigned to the drop-down options. 

I'm happy to pass this request along to our team! I'll include this discussion to update you if this makes it on the roadmap.

Mike Rudman

Hi Lauren,

Great to get a response. It's not a shortcut that I'm pointing out, it's keyboard navigation. A shortcut is a combination of keys which takes you straight to a particular command. It's also bespoke to the program and you will often find with the exception of Windows standards (bold, cut, paste etc) that its different across different programs for the same action. Don't get me wrong, more shortcuts would be great too!

Keyboard navigation is a pretty standard part of the majority windows programs which allows you to navigate without a mouse. Has been in place forever and also helps certain groups who find it difficult use a mouse.

Storyline has keyboard navigation implemented in the usual way (ctr + F10) with the exception of the audio and video function at the toolbar level. Try any of the other items on the insert tab (captions, shapes etc) and they all work.

If it wasn't supposed to work that way, then the sub menu items in the photo above would not have underlined letters, the only purpose of which is to indicate the keyboard key to use to activate. 

It's not a new functionality, it's just fixing a bug. 

Cheers

Mike

P.S if the "Audio menu" button is mapped to "insert from a file" by intention then it should have the insert from a file icon! Not the audio submenu icon.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.