Storyline 360 is NOT Accessible on mobile devices

Sep 05, 2017

Hi 

Hoping to get some advice here as we are currently in dire straits, and also to warn anybody from making the same mistake.

We are working on a large project and are nearing the finishing line. 

In the project there is a requirement for the content to be WCAG AA compliant. So we obviously looked in the documentation. (https://articulate.com/support/article/articulate-storyline-and-web-content-accessibility-guidelines-wcag) and found that we are OK. SL 360 is WCAG.

We then do some final testing and run into a ton of accessibility problems on mobile devices. We contact support and are told that "Storyline 360 accessibility is currently supported on a desktop browser." and is referred to https://articulate.com/support/article/System-Requirements-for-Articulate-Storyline-360. I do see now that mobile is not listed under supported Screen Readers, but under WCAG there is a link to the WCAG article that we initially checked, which does not mention that it only applies to desktop browsers.  I expected more from Articulate in their documentation and support.

Obviously we should have tested more thoroughly before we started, but we didn't.

Does anybody have any good ideas?

I don't know if Articulate Staff is listening, but if you are, is it possible for you to comment on the outlook of supporting Accessible content on Mobile devices?

Thanks

Tomas

4 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tomas, 

I'm sorry about the confusion and any extra work it's caused for you. 

I'll touch base with my team about updating the documentation, and make sure it's clear that support is limited to desktop browsers currently

As for  accessibility on mobile devices, I'll be the first to admit it's an area I don't know a lot about.  I'd love to hear more from you about this! What screen readers do you currently use on mobile? How do these interface with other (non-Articulate) programs? What are some stellar examples we could look at? 

I know our team is already hard at work on a number of accessibility features for Rise.  It would be great to get more ideas/feedback to share as they continue that work. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dearne, 

I'm not familiar with any mobile screen readers, but Storyline 360 supports these screen readers with HTML5 and Flash courses:

HTML5 Flash
JAWS 16 or later with Internet Explorer 10 or later, Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version) JAWS 16 or later with Internet Explorer 11 or later

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.