Storyline 360 modern player corrupting video - but only in internet explorer 11

Mar 08, 2019

We produce elearning tutorials commercially using Storyline 360 (latest version) which have a front/end screen and an embedded mp4 video to which we add captions in Storyline.  We publish them as HTML 5 SCORM packages to an LMS.  We have been using the classic player, and everything has worked fine in Firefox, Chrome and I.E.

We have just updated our look and feel and moved to the modern player, and now when I view the tutorials in Internet Explorer, the embedded video looks awful, like it has been resized without anti-aliasing.  We have not resized from the source, and the video still looks fine when viewed in Firefox, Chrome and Edge.

We still have customers who may use I.E. - so I am eager to find a way of resolving this, and any advice would be appreciated.

9 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Neil and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that you are running into an issue with your project.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Neil Pearson

Hi Leslie

A colleague here ahs been looking at the issue and come up with this - I don't know if it will help your teams' investigations

"The video problem definitely seems to be a sizing issue - zooming in to 120% makes it look correct. Resizing the video in Storyline however doesn't work - the aspect ratios of the original video and the browser window do not match up, plus customers will be using a wide variety of different monitor sizes and I don't think we can realistically release however many versions of each module to match them. Furthermore republishing the Camtasia video as a different format doesn't work either - Storyline very helpfully converts videos to MP4 for you when you import them and I doubt that the problem is anything to do with video format anyway."

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kendra,

I can appreciate that it's frustrating when only one or even a few learners are running into an issue, especially when you're unable to replicate the behavior yourself.

I'd suggest confirming with their learner that they're using a supported version of Internet Explorer and that they're not running it in compatibility mode either. 

Neil Pearson

An update: We found a way around the problem I originally described.  We put a second video layer into the last row of the timeline, containing a dummy video clip of a plain white screen.  It starts playing at one second in, and lasts for only one second.  Because it is 'under' the main video, it doesn't show, but for some reason this seems to fix the issue of the video not playing in I.E.

Ren Gomez

Hi Everyone,

Good news! We fixed the issue in Storyline 360 where videos are blurry/pixelated when viewed in IE11.

Here's how to install the latest Storyline 360 update to see all the recent enhancements and fixes.

If the problem reappears, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me or connect with a support engineer, and we'll be happy to help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.