Storyline 360, moving captions as a group

Mar 15, 2018

Hello,

I'm learning how to make captions for videos. Having created a file in 360 and used the captions editor to create all the captions, I changed my mind about an introductory audio file and would like to place it at the beginning. I exported and reimported my captions, but to caption the introductory audio, it looks as if I'll need to drag the original captions one by one to the place where they should appear. Is there either a way to import the captions to a specific location or to select them all and move them down the timeline?

--mlm

5 Replies
Margaret Morse

Hello, Alyssa

I'll try to do that on Monday, but here's another quick, if confused, explanation.

I'm updating a training originally made in Captivate by moving it to Rise. There are maybe 10 brief video files (about 5 minutes) in one module of the original that I have available as .flv files, but they don't have captions. The original training also has voice over, reading the slides (ugh!), so I've got .mp3s for those. What I've been doing has been to bring the .flv files into Replay and publish them as .mp4s. Then, I've put them in Articulate 360, added captions, and published them in 360, so I can place them in Rise in a little player. My issue arose when I decided after doing the first one that I could add an image as a title slide in Replay and put the .mp3 in as voice over that image, before the .flv video, and then publish as an .mp4. So, I did it, and in 360, replaced the original video. The captions in 360 stayed put, but now they weren't aligned with the appropriate parts of the former .flv content. I couldn't find a way to move all the captions at once to the end of the file so that I could add captions to the voice over at the beginning. In a file this short, it wasn't a huge problem--I just dragged the captions one-by-one down the timeline to the place they belonged--but it would be really helpful to be able to select them and drag them all at once. I could see this also being an issue if I were to break a video file and add something in the middle after I'd gotten the captions established. However, this may just be a matter of my not knowing how to use the tools in the captions editor in 360.

Did that make any sense? In a perfect world, I think the bottom line is to have sorted out what goes where in Replay so you don't have to make later revisions.

Thanks for your help with this.

--Margaret

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Margaret,

Are you adding the captions/audio into Replay or into Storyline? That's the part I was confused about. 

I'd suggest using Storyline 360's built in captions editor to allow for these things to sync up on your slide with your audio/video that you've already combined in Replay. 

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding, or if you want to share another example here with us. 

Margaret Morse

Hello,

I'm editing captions in Storyline. The issue is that if I make a change to the video in Replay--in this case, adding a cover image and .mp3 voiceover, republish it as an .mp4, and then in Storyline "Change video," the captions I have made in Storyline stay there, but they now are not in the right place, because there's new material before where they used to begin. I can drag the captions one at a time to the end of the timeline (still in Storyline), but I don't seem to be able to select them all and then move them underneath the video frames where they belong in the new video. It would be helpful to be able to do that, not just for this particular project, but in general, when videos get re-edited. It's nice that the captions remain, or that I can export and reimport them, but it would be nicer if they could be moved around more easily in the captions editor. I was expecting a shift-click or control-click type of command that would let me select a group of captions and move them as a block.

Does that make any more sense?

--Margaret

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Margaret,

That definitely makes sense - thanks for that explanation! I can share this feedback with my team to look at as we continue to make updates to the closed captioning setup.

Often using the "change video" feature keeps everything else intact as it's assuming you just want to change the video, but I can see how that would be confusing. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.