Storyline 360: Multiple Correct Hotspots on a Single Test Mode Slide (Screencast)??

Aug 14, 2019

I have recorded a screencast that I will use in Test Mode. Therefore, each of the clicks is presented on a separate slide. On the screencast slide, there are TWO visible Save buttons. Users could select either of the two; however, only one is considered correct and included in the results. How do I add another CORRECT hotspot to the slide AND have it be included as a correct answer on the Results slide if selected?

9 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Cherhonda,

It's a little bit of a workaround since hotspot questions are designed to only have one correct answer, but give this a try! On your test slide with two answers:

• Remove the freeform from the interaction by going to Insert, then Remove Freeform.
  • Now copy and paste the correct hotspot (the only green one) to other areas of your screen.
  • Once you've set them both up, then go ahead and revert back to freeform by going to Insert, Convert to freeform, then choose the Hotspot question type. 

You should now see two green hotspots selected when you click on Form View.

Also, In your Design tab, be sure to Submit the question On Click so that it acts similar to your other test slides. Hope this helps!

kim froats

Hi Ren,

This information is exactly what I've been looking for.  However, when I test the slide (which has 4 correct hotspot answers) it goes to the "Correct" popup after I've only clicked on one hotspot.  How do I make it so all 4 hotspots need to be selected before the "Correct" popup shows?  I'm using 360 if that helps.

Thank you!

Ren Gomez

Hi Kim,

It may be possible to create this scenario using the method I described above. But with this suggestion already a "hack" of sorts, and taking it a step further with ensuring all correct answers must be selected, I imagine it would take lots of additional time in creating conditional triggers for each object.

Instead, you may want to try using a "Pick Many" question as described in this conversation, as that may be a better option for you. Hope this guides you in the right direction!

kim froats

Hi Ren,

Thank you for getting back to me and for sending the link.

I do not see a “quizzing” area on my ribbon though. Where is that section located? I’d like to try this out to see if it works.

Thanks again,

Kim Froats | ACI, Procurement Policy and Performance, Procurement Office, Finance
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1-877-464-9675 ext. 71523

Our Mission: Working together to serve our thriving communities – today and tomorrow

Vincent Scoma

Hi Kim,

Is this in reference to the Pick Many solution that Ren provided? If so, you can select this option in Storyline by navigating to the Home tab >> Click on New Slide >> Click on Freeform Question >> Then select the Pick Many option: 

You can also convert an existing to slide to a Freeform question by opening the Insert tab on the ribbon. Click Convert to Freeform and choose Pick Many:

Please let us know if you have any questions about this! 

Jesse Anderson

Your other option would be to use the hotspots on your slide to activate a pair of off-screen buttons. The hotspots would have a trigger that changes the state of one of the two buttons.

Then, the standard pick-one freeform question could be used. It would simply look to see which of the buttons was selected and respond accordingly. I'm not sure if that was super clear, but here's an example file.

John Morley

The concern with doing the tricks with a freeform options is that the user experience is different from the basic hotspot question, which shows a target where the learner clicks, giving that bit of feedback needed to indicate that the click has registered.

This is compounded if the freeform question in mixed in with basic hotspot questions, which lead the learner to expect the target where they click. 

Is there any way to make that target appear where the learner clicks?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi John, 

Great question - the black and white target icon you see with a hotspot question is baked into the hotspot itself, but you could look at replicating something similar by adding states to your clickable freeform options. Once a learner clicked on it, the new state could show a similar target (likely won't have the pulsing option!) and that way the learner would know what object they selected!

Let us know if that helps, or if you need other ideas from folks in the community!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.