Storyline 360 Multiple layers, each with an audio. I want to make sure learner listens to all audios completely

May 10, 2018

I've reviewed many related forums to the problem I am having and still can't find a resolution. I am very new to Storyline but have a background in LMS development. Here's the problem.

I have a Course Topics slide with a base and 8 layers. The base layer has the instructions for the slide. Each of the 8 other layers have an audio that I want the learner to listen through to the end - all 8 - before they can progress to the next slide. I don't have the problem of the audios playing at the same time if the user clicks three or four. If the user clicks one without listening to it through the end and then clicks another, the first stops as it should.

The problem is, I can quickly click all 8 buttons (which turn green after clicked) real quick - without completely listening to each of them - and then the "next" button appears.

I want to force the learner to listen to each audio on all 8 layers to completion before the next button appears. Please help.

13 Replies
Louise Lindop

Hi Karla

I answered this post but doesn't seem to have come up, so will try again. I may have posted elsewhere by accident (wouldn't be the first time!).

Anyway, I would do this by turning your buttons to green at the end of the timeline on each layer, rather than when they click the button, and at the same time setting a variable so I can check when all layers have been listened to in full.

I have mocked up and attached and example which seems to work well and do what you required. It only have 4 layers, but obviously the same principle would apply to 8.

Hope this is of some help.

Louise

Karla Guleserian

Louise - I can't express how much I appreciate you taking the time to try to help me. I did all that you suggested but still have problems. I'm uploading the  slide. Please don't laugh. lol as I a novice. Here's my problem... I can click all eight bullets - one after another... no problem with audios playing simultaneously. The buttons do not turn green after each click - which is good. However - even after clicking all 8 simultaneously and not seeing the Next button, once I listen to one all the way through I can move on. Please forgive my ignorance. Can you help? here's the slide

Wendy Farmer

Hi Karla

see attached updated file.

I added a transparent layer over all buttons that is triggered to change to hidden when the base layer audio finishes - that way the user can't click on any buttons until they hear the instructions.

Also, your layer timelines were extended to around 40 secs not when the audio completed so I brought them all in to the end of the timeline when the audio clip finished

On each layer I opened the layer properties and checked the 'prevent user clicking on base layer' - so the user couldn't have two audio clips playing at same time and forces them to listen to end of audio before clicking another audio button.

Hope this helps.

Karla Guleserian

I'm having similar problems as above with three other slides. I just can't figure it out.

Again, I want the user to have to listen to each audio all the way through before progressing.

I want the buttons to turn green after each audio completes.

I don't want the Next button to show until all audios have been complete.

Please help! Thank you so much!

Karla Guleserian

Thank you, Wendy. I do see that I missed one of those. I fixed it but the slides still do not function right. I think  I am missing something regarding timeline lengths. I'm not sure.

Again, I want the user to have to listen to each audio all the way through before progressing.

I want the buttons to turn green after each audio completes.

I don't want the Next button to show until all audios have been complete.

Would you please take a peek?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.