Storyline 360 - PDF link Web Object display issue in Chrome

Feb 12, 2019

Hey Heroes!

I need help with a course with a slide containing a web object that is displaying a link to a PDF hosted online. When the course window is enlarged by the end user, the PDF in the web object zooms in and cannot be zoomed out, cropping out the rest of the document. The course window size needs to be adjusted in order to resize the PDF to affect Adobe zoom controls. This issue is not occurring in Firefox, only Chrome. I have attached the .story file, as well as the SCORM package.

Any insights that you can provide are appreciated!

14 Replies
Jessica D'Apice

It looks like your team is aware of and working on the issue, according to Ashley's reply above. I have a feeling that this issue is related to an interaction between the web object and how Chrome handles the Adobe Acrobat viewer, because like I said, this is not happening in Firefox, regardless of the course window size.

Katie Riggio

Hi again, Jessica – and those following along who might be in a similar pickle!

Circling back to share that my teammate, Eloisa, was also able to recreate this issue and logged: Embedded PDF web object is zoomed in and does not show PDF controls in Chrome as a possible bug. 

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. Here's a glimpse into how we tackle bugs, and I'll keep this discussion updated with any new information!
Jessica D'Apice

Hey folks,

While the good people on the Articulate QA/development/support teams are hard at work researching this issue, I have found a suitable work-around!

This solution utilizes files from Mozilla's open-source pdf.js project, and a modification from elearningbrothers.com. I have simply taken what they have instructed and simplified the instructions to make it a bit easier to follow along in Storyline. I have attached a .zip file with the pdf.js files and a readme with a link to the elearningbrothers blog page and my own step-by-step instructions. This solution works in all modern browsers.

(Note that Articulate Support does not support this workaround, as it utilizes JavaScript not native to Storyline.)

Something for the Articulate teams to consider, though, is this solution does still utilize the native Storyline web object. Perhaps this solution may help in understanding the issue with the web object in Chrome that sparked this post.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you may be running into a different issue than what we have reported here.

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.