Storyline 360 Pick One Triggers Issue

Dec 14, 2021

Hi all - thanks to some great examples in the forum, I am using the Pick One freeform question to enable multiple drop targets for multiple drag items. (I have added a few layers of complexity because I also have extra drag items without a target.) In addition to the triggers needed to select the Correct/Incorrect button, I have a trigger to show the Incorrect layer if the user does not drag any items at all. Although that trigger works as expected, it also causes correct answers to display the Incorrect layer. The logic and trigger order appear correct to me, but I can't figure out why it is not working. Please see the attached Storyline file and image of correct answers. The trigger in question is the last trigger attached to the Submit button. Thanks!

9 Replies
Phil Mayor

I don't think you need both of the incorrect triggers, the OR one is the one you should keep (although this wouldn't break the interaction you should only need two triggers to achieve this).

For the correct trigger you are validating Normal and all the built in states validate as Normal, try IS NOT drop incorrect instead.

Jennifer Bircher

Thanks Phil. I actually started with just the one Incorrect trigger you suggested in your first paragraph ("or state = Drop Incorrect"). This worked fine, except that the correct feedback is displayed when the Submit button is clicked without drag/dropping anything. So I added the second Incorrect trigger to display the incorrect feedback if the learner does nothing (i.e., the states of all hyphens are still Normal).

Regarding your suggestion in the second paragraph - I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding "For the correct trigger you are validating Normal and all the built in states validate as Normal." You also suggested trying IS NOT drop incorrect, but that is how the Correct trigger is already set up.

Let me know if you need additional information from me. Thanks so much for your time.

Walt Hamilton

The general rule of thumb is to set the initial state of the off-stage incorrect object to Selected. That way, if the learner does nothing before clicking Submit, they will get the incorrect message. Also, if the answer is Incorrect, no further action need be taken.
Then check to see if the answer is correct, and if so, set the Correct object to selected. In this case, that is a bit complicated because any object can be dropped on any target, but it can be done.
Additionally, I have taken the liberty of adding an object and triggers that allow the learner to change their mind, and drag a hyphen off a square. The light blue rectangle makes this work. You may want to set its transparency to 99% to make it disappear. I left it visible so you can see it.

See the attached sample.

Jennifer Bircher

Walt, thank you so much for taking the time to create this workaround. In my original post, I did not go into detail about the "layers of complexity" of the slide because I was just trying to understand why the triggers were not working when I believed the logic was sound. One of the layers of complexity is that one of the drop boxes can be either correct or incorrect. That is an important part of the learning. That requirement really did turn this interaction on its head, which is why I used "Drop Incorrect" as the criterion for success. I realize you were not aware of that. Your sample works, but only if the drop box is marked correct. If you have any insight into why Storyline seems to be ignoring the last trigger in my original file (Change Incorrect to selected if all hyphens are normal), that would be great. Thanks again!

Jennifer Bircher

Thanks, Phil. Now I understand what you mean about drop correct validating as normal. That is great information. However, when you say "It would be better to use IS NOT drop incorrect," I'm not sure which trigger you are referring to. The Correct trigger already uses that format. If you mean the last Incorrect trigger, then it is the same as the Correct trigger, which still results in all correct answers being shown as incorrect. I might be missing something, though!

Jennifer Bircher

P.S. Phil and Walt - I need to get this out the door today, so I have decided to change the question format so that it just provides a feedback layer instead of trying to display Correct/Incorrect layers. Of course, I am open to any other suggestions, but I'm sure you both are busy and don't want to unnecessarily take up your time. Thanks again for your help on this!!