Storyline 360: Printing slides as flashcards from within a course

Aug 01, 2017

Hello, I am new to Articulate and Storyline 360. I'm using the trial version, working through the tutorials, and working on my own project. Love the software so far.

I was wondering if it is possible to have an option where you can choose a slide, or set of slides, and have them print as flashcards while running the same course. I have some slides where users see a word, hear a definition, and see a supporting visual. There are other parts, but it would be amazing if at some point I could set up an option where users, while in the course, choose slides to print out as flashcards to review while they are not online.

Thanks for your help!

3 Replies
Rick Hulbert

Hi Crystal, thanks for the reply. :)

The problem is that a good portion of  my target audience does not have strong digital literacy skills, so I want to make everything as intuitive and as obvious as possible. I also want to minimize the cognitive drain upon learners; they are second/additional language learners, some with interrupted or no education, and I want them to think about the content of the course and not navigating the course as much as possible. For the average, educated learner, asking them to navigate to a resource section to print is relatively simple, but for certain types of learners I may be working with, while they can certainly do it with effort, it can be a frustrating and time consuming experience which may taint the e-learning experience to the point where a few learners may choose to disengage (in the most extreme situations). I am really trying to create a seamless learning experience where as much learning regarding the target content and not the medium used to present the target content.

If I can't do this, I can probably find a way to minimize navigation because Articulate seems pretty flexible, but still, having the ability to select a slide to print as a flashcard while you're going through the course would be great.

Thanks again!

Brett Rockwood

I think Crystal's suggestion is a good one because printing the screen, while possible with a simple javascript, can produce unpredictable results depending on printer set up, etc. Only thing I'd add is I would create the flash cards in PowerPoint or some other program and save it as a PDF. Then just put a button on screen wherever needed that says "Get Flashcards" and add a trigger to open the PDF. That way you can precisely control how your cards look and they should print very nicely from the PDF.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.