Storyline 360 problems: Objects spin & layers don't show

Feb 10, 2017

Hello,

currently I'm building a course for a client. The content includes a page, which should show the flashpoint of three different liquids when warming them up.
The course is build in Storyline 360 and published for LMS in HTML5 and Flash as fallback.

Now I have run into two issues:

1. The three beakers containing the liquds are shown as three different images, every image has a motion path along which they move to the "stove" and pour the liquid into the beaker sitting on the stove in case they are clicked on.
Now the problem is, that if you click more than once at one of the beaker-images they are rotated about 45° degrees.
Has anyone ever experienced that?
I haven't given them any animation except the motion path...

2. When a certain temperature for one of the liquids is reached, the vapours catch fire. The temperature is increased by clicking onto a button. I created a layer where an image of the fire is shown and used an entrance animation to let it grow.
As long as you click onto the button using a mouse or a touchpad and the temperature is reached, the fire shows up. But if you use your finger e.g. on a smartphone, the temperature is increased but the fire doesn't show up...
Curious thing is I have a convertible laptop with touch functionality, if I use my touchpad or trackpoint it works fine, also if I use my wacom pen. But if I use my fingers and touch the button the fire doesn't show up.
Have I missed anything that triggers with an "on click" event won't work correctly on touch?

I hope you can help.

Jessica

4 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hey Jessica (though you're logged in as Peter!).  Some of that behavior sounds slightly off.  Let's investigate.

1.  Is your motion path triggered by a click?  Does your motion path include the option to "orient shape" to the motion path, whereby the object is facing the direction of the motion path (most noticeable with curves)?  It's possible that depending on when the user clicks the object again that it might retrigger the motion path.

2.  I would expect the "tap" to work on your mobile device the same way a mouse click would work on your desktop.  Could you elaborate on what mobile browser you're using to view the course? 

As for the desktop with the touch screen:  We've seen inconsistent behaviors with desktop touch screens as far as gesture-support goes.  Since desktop browser versions are not displaying the mobile player, gestures aren't officially supported.  So if the mouse is working fine on the desktop browser, I wouldn't worry about the touch aspect in that environment.

Regardless, I'd be happy to have a look at your file if you can share it!  If you can't share it here, you can open a case with our support engineers, and they'll do some digging, too.

Peter F.

Hey Crystal,

Thank you for your answer!
Sorry for confusing you. We were sharing this account. I created a new one for myself now. But I'll use this one now not to confuse people even more...

1. Yes, the motion path is triggered by a click ans yes I used the option "orient shape". If it retriggers the motion path it exits the ongoing animation and just reruns the animation without rotating the object.
The motion path doesn't do any twists at the beginning, so the behaviour can't be influenced by them...
I should mention that the behaviour occurs if you click in rapid succession on the object.

2. We have tested the course on a OnePlusOne smartphone, Android version: 6.0.1, Browser: Chrome version 56.0.2924.87

I mentioned the problem with the laptop and touch screen because the beahviour is similar to that on mobile devices. And if the course doesn't work on mobile devices that would rather be a drawback.
I opened up a support case as recommended because I can't share the *.story file.

Thank you,
Jessica

Crystal Horn

Hi Jessica- just to update this discussion, I see your case with our support team, 1013904.  

It looks like they were able to reproduce the objects spinning oddly on the motion path.  This spin appears to happen if you double click on an object on a motion path that is set to "orient the object" to the path direction.  We've documented this issue for our QA team to have a look, and we'll be able to update this discussion further if we get new information from them to share!

As for the Android issue, I see he's still testing it out.  Thanks again.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.