Storyline 360 Project Flickering Between Slides in Internet Explorer

Jan 25, 2018

Hello!

I am experiencing a flickering between slides in my SL360 project when viewing it in Internet Explorer. Watching it in Review in IE produces the same problem. I do not experience this issue in Chrome. Would you kindly assist in fixing the problem for me?

Thank you!

10 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Reyna!

We released another update for Storyline 360 this week that includes a fix for the problem where HTML5 output would sometimes flicker or flash when navigating between slides.

Have you installed that update yet? If not, follow these steps to install the update, then republish the file to test on Internet Explorer. 

Let me know if that solves it!

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Ragesh,

Are you experiencing an issue in IE 11 only? I do see where we have another issue reported related to this browser. 

It is described as the slide 'shaking or blinking' before going to the next slide.

Does that sound like what you are seeing as well? I'd be happy to add this thread to our report.

If you're seeing something else, please feel free to share your .story file for us to take a look.

Matthew Weeden

Hi all,

I wanted to contribute to this topic as well since I am experiencing the same issue. My search for help led me to this post. 

I have published courses with the most recent Storyline 360 update and I am still having this flickering problem when courses are published and viewed in IE11 (including SCORM Cloud and our LMS).  I tested using Chrome and did not encounter the same problem. Sadly, our company's default browser is IE 11, so Chrome is out of the question.

Technical support suggested that I adjust the browser settings in the player so that the player is locked at optimal size as shown below (I had submitted a ticket for another issue).

Spoiler alert: It did not work. Although it may be worth a try for others experiencing the same issue.

One important piece of info that might change the situation: It only seems to be a problem when using manual buttons. I published  a course using the player default buttons and it worked as designed. Just food for thought.

-Matt

Katie Riggio

Thanks for reaching out, Matthew! Really sorry you're running into a flickering slide issue on the HTML5 output when in IE11.

I did some testing, and it looks like your experience relates to an open issue we have on file that Leslie mentioned above.

I shared your update on your existing case with Cleo. You should hear back from him soon and I'll also be sure to share updates here, as needed!

Katie Riggio

Thanks for checking in, Jessica and Sanjay

Really sorry you are both experiencing flickering when viewing the HTML5 output in IE11–I'd love to help out! This behavior seems to happen when there are objects outside the slide stage or objects on the slide that spill outside the slide area. Most browsers ignore these off-stage elements, but IE attempts to display them, which causes the flicker effect.

Here are some ways you can avoid this behavior:

• Delete unused objects that are outside the slide stage, crop images that are partially outside the slide, or move objects so they're completely on the slide.
  • Place hotspots over objects that are outside the slide stage to hide them from IE. When an off-stage object is interactive, such as a button, you might need to add a trigger to the hotpsot to duplicate the behavior of the interactive object. When an object isn't interactive, such as a picture, you don't need to add a trigger to the hotspot.
  • Switch to another browser–such as Chrome or Firefox. 
  • View the Flash version of your course instead (if you included Flash output when you published the course).

If you're seeing something different, would you be able to share your .story file with us, so we can take a closer look?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.