Storyline 360 publishing WAY TOO SLOW on my new Laptop

Jun 26, 2018

Hi All,

Im experiencing a strange problem on my new laptop with Storyline 360 perhaps I can get some guidance on how to remedy it.

On my old Laptop which was following:

Dell Precision M4700 with 3rd Gen i7 processor, 16gb ram and 1tb ssd on Windows 7 Professional it took 15 minutes to render a course unit with audio commentary but no video, probably 200 slides in total.   On other simpler courses of 160 slides it would take only 5 minutes.  

Now I have the following:

ASUS ROG G752VS OC Edition which means an unlocked CPU and nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with 8 GB GDDR5 VRAM .
CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK 2.7 Ghz multiplier unlocked and can run at 3.8 Ghz
RAM: 32 GB DDR4 2.400 Mhz
HDD: Samsung SM951 256 GB PCI-E SSD nVME plus 1 TB HGST 7.200 RPM HDD
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GDDR5
Windows 10 Professional

Now on paper this should leave the Dell in the dust but in fact the same publishing takes FOUR TIMES LONGER!!!

Can anyone explain to me what is wrong or how I can improve Articulates performance?  At the moment I am wondering if I install windows 7 professional on the ASUS would that enhance Articulate 360's performance?  

What could be causing the lag when both Articulate and the course being published are on the same high performance ssd drive... everything sghould work blisteringly fast but certainly not 4 times slower than a computer with half the power of the ASUS!

Any ideas anyone? 

4 Replies
Carol Wade

Hi Alyssa,

Did you guys come up with an explanation or solution for Thomas? I have only recently started using Storyline 360 on my Del Precision 7510 (I'm on Windows 10). I have only 10 slides in the story, but publishing to video is still running after 30 minutes. 

On the other hand, publishing to HTML/Flash took less than a minute.

I will submit a support ticket but thought I'd see what you came up with.

Any suggestions?

Katie Riggio

Hi, Carol. I'm sorry you're at this roadblock, too.

Looking at Thomas' case, it seems that a Storyline 360 update helped speed up the publishing process. That said, we'd still like to take you up on the offer to work with you one-on-one to see what's going on behind the scenes in your setup.

Here's where you can connect with our all-star Support Team. Be sure to share your case number so I can follow along to relay any relevant info here!

Asbjørn Reinhold Ravn

Storyline only uses 1 CPU core to publish/preview projects.

Your CPU has 4 CPU cores AND 4 thread for a total of 8 logical cores. But alas, Storyline has been coded so as to only take advantage of 1 core and not even an additional thread.

So publishing will be slow on any computer. The only the that matters is that one cores' Clock speed and its IPC (Instructions per clock).

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.