Storyline 360 - quiz passing score doubles on retry quiz

Oct 11, 2017

We currently have a small assessment which has an intro slide, 10 random questions drawn from a question bank of 23, and a results slide.

if we complete the test and fail, we get the correct results and passing score displayed.

when we retry the quiz, we get the score we achieved,  but the passing score has doubled - eg we have it defined as 80% - it doubles to 160 on the retry.  so the most the learner can achieve is 50%, and we are getting continual fails.

How do we stop the passing score from doubling?

it still shows as 80% in the settings. but the results slide display shows it has doubled.

18 Replies
Bre LeBeuf

I had to strip all of the content out, but I left one slide and the assessment. Take the assessment and miss all of the questions the first time (2 tries). You'll see the passing score is 40 points. Take the assessment and get all of the questions correct. You'll see the passing score now is 80 points.

The html5 version seems to be the issue.

I have tested on Edge and Chrome.

Wendy Farmer

Hi Sublime

I can see there is an issue.  When you 'retry quiz' the score points are resetting to 0 but the pass points are not 

I placed the variable references on screen to check - the image below is once I have clicked the retry quiz button. The top reference is score points, the bottom is pass points. So once I start again it adds another 10 points to all questions.

Here is a Peek video of the pass score accumulating on retry - I would log a support ticket with Articulate and reference this post.

Will Findlay

I wonder if it has something to do with using freeform quiz questions within a Question Bank. I have that too in my module. However, I tried to reproduce this problem from scratch by creating a question bank and then adding freeform questions, but the scoring didn't break.

Also, the pass points should not be resetting to zero each time. They should stay the same. The pass points are the total points you must achieve to pass the quiz. They just shouldn't be incrementing each time you retake the test. Another problem we discovered is that if you allow the user to see the questions in the menu sidebar, and navigation is free, all they have to do is answer a single question correctly to pass. In this case, the pass points are too low.

Will Findlay

I figured out how to fix this! I removed the triggers to lightboxes from your question incorrect feedback layers and now the scoring works correctly. I think it has something to do with a quiz question in a Question Bank having a link to a different slide, because in my case, removing the back buttons I had added to the quiz questions in my Question Bank fixed the scoring. Not sure if that is a great fix though since I'm sure you don't want to leave out the lightboxes.

Ali Goulet

Hey Everyone,

I have some great news! 

We just released another update for Storyline 360, and included a few important fixes and new features that you'll see in the release notes here 

This update fixes the issue you reported where the passing score and learner's score could be calculated incorrectly when retrying an HTML5 quiz generated from question banks.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly!

Salvador Fernandez

I don't think this was ever solved. I have updated storyline 360 to newest version and still getting same bug. On first attempt score on result page is calculated correctly after clicking retry and re-taking course the score will not go above 18.18% and the pass points has increased to 440.

I have been told that this is being looked into as a possible bug.

Case #01229077

Reference ID: ref:_00D30Txo._500f31CFYfm:ref 

This is a high priority item and need it fixed or solution as soon as possible.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Salvador.  Thanks so much for including your case number here. 

It looks like they've associated your case with an issue with having a layer on a question slide that includes triggers to jump to other slides.  The workaround identified at this point was to remove the layer from the question slide, if possible.

I'll make sure this discussion stays up to date with any new information we can share!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi all,

The issue where the Quiz Score Percent is incorrect when you retry a quiz where Question Slides have a layer with "Jump to Slide" triggers is fixed in today's update of Articulate 360. 

To use the latest update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application (this fix is in Storyline 360). Details here.

Also, if you'd like to review the full list of fixes and features in today's update, the release notes are here. 

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.