Storyline 360 - Randomize Slide Order Question

Mar 13, 2018

I have a client that wants questions to be randomized in a quiz. This can be done through question banks.

However, the client also wants the slide order in the quiz randomized as well. Can this be done? Can you randomize slide order (as opposed to question order) in a Storyline 360 quiz?

11 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Tracy!

Can you tell me more about what you mean when you say you need to "randomize the slide order in the quiz"?

Are you looking to randomize regular content slides? 

Content slides will appear in the same order that they are listed in Story View. You can certainly create branched slides if you would rather not have a linear flow.

If you can tell us more about what you're looking to do, I can try and point you in the right direction!

Tracy Carroll

Hi Alyssa,

My client would like the slides in a quiz to appear in random order. (Not a branched scenario, or anything where the order of slides would be determined by what the learner does.)

In addition, the client wants each quiz question on each slide to appear randomly---this can be done with question banks, of course, but I don't know if it is possible to have the slides appear in random order.

For example, if the quiz has 10 slides, the client would like the order of the 10 slides to appear randomly each time the learner takes (or retries) the quiz.

Tracy Carroll

Hi Alyssa,

In the attached file, there are 3 quiz slides: True/False slide, Fill-in-the Blank slide, & Hotspot slide. The client would like each quiz slide to appear in random order when the user starts the quiz.

So, when the user clicks the start button, sometimes the quiz would start with the Hotspot slide, sometimes with the True/False slide, etc. All three slides would be included in the quiz, but the slide order would be random each time the user takes the quiz.

Attached is the .story file. I don't know if there is any way to randomize the order of the quiz slides.

Tracy Carroll

Hi Alyssa,

What my client is asking for is a bit different from your example. There would be multiple question banks for each category of question (for example: True/False question bank, Fill-in-the Blank question bank, Hotspot question bank).

Each question would be drawn randomly from that category's question bank.

The client also wants the quiz slide categories to show in random order. So, the quiz would not always go in the order of True/False category, Fill-in-the Blank category, Hotspot category, etc. The order of categories would be random, just as the question on each slide would be random.

I hope that explains it better!

Kaono Lindsey

Thanks for this example. Its exactly what I needed. Lets say you have a bank of 20 questions. If one question is randomly chosen from the bank, does it eliminate that chosen question from the bank so it doesn't show again, or would you have to set up a variable of some type to create an elimination argument. 

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Kaono.

Thank you for reaching out!

When using a random draw from a question bank, each question should only show up once, unless you are re-using the question bank later in the course. In that case, there isn't a way to guarantee that the question won't be drawn again as it'll be treated as a new attempt/draw.