Storyline 360 - Reset 'restricted' menu on course restart (after quiz failure)

Jul 10, 2018

Hi,

We're using the 'restricted' menu feature for a storyline 360 course, which works fine the first time going through the course.

However, if a user fails the end quiz, we're sending the user back to the start of the course (&resetting the quiz), but we can't seem to find how to reset the menu again, so that the user can't immediately jump forward to the quiz again.

Is there a way to reset the progress made in a 'restricted' menu?

Thanks!

30 Replies
Bert Casaert

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Adding the 'course restart' trigger on a button doesn't really give me consistent results...

- sometimes the course resets (actually restarts)

- sometimes it just flashes me the first slide and immediately jumps back to the result slide 

(this weird behaviour is 'on click', as well as 'on slide start/end' (new slide added after + jump to) )

I've had the best result with the combination of:

- trigger 'course restart'

- combined with a javascript call to reload the entire page: location.reload(true);

(found on https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/trigger-restart-course-in-html5 )

However, I have no idea if this javascript code will work always & everywhere (browser).

Can you confirm that this javascript code could be ok to use?

Thanks again.

Bert Casaert

An update:

I'd like to reset the entire course and have the menu restrictions re-enabled.

It seems that a 'restart course' works in an LMS (not offline), however, this does not apply the menu restrictions again.

IF I exit the course after clicking 'restart' and relaunch the course, the menu restrictions are back.

I wouldn't be against kicking people from  the course ('exit course' command)  after the 'restart course' command (to fix the menu restrictions), but there seems to be a timing problem:

The 'exit course' seems to execute earlier than the 'restart course' and the user ends up at the same (end)slide again upon restart of the course.

Any suggestions?

Bert Casaert

Hi,

Even though 'restart course' is the first trigger, and the 'exit course' trigger as the second...

The end result is that the course exits first and the 'restart course' didn't happen.

The user is still on result slide (where the button is) when returning in the course (SCORM cloud LMS), and neither the menu was reset nor the progress.

Any tips? (any way I try it, the 'exit' trigger still needs to be linked to the same event as the 'restart', which always results in an 'exit', without 'restart' happening or being remembered.

Alyssa Gomez

Hey Bert! I did some more digging, and I see that there's a problem with the "Restart Course" trigger in Storyline 360 when viewing the content in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. 

Have you been testing your content in one of those browsers? I'm curious to hear if this problem also happens when you preview the content in Storyline. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hey, Bert! As promised, I wanted to let you know we fixed the issue you reported where the restart course trigger didn't work in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer.

Install the latest Storyline 360 update to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes.

If the problem happens again, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me, and I’ll be happy to help!

Pauline Sebestyen

I'm not sure if this is the same or similar problem but I am trying to reset the menu when clicking a restart button that uses the trigger Restart Course. It seems to reset but the menu items are still the colour I set up for Visited Item (light grey) to indicate that the item was visited. any way to reset the style?

Pauline Sebestyen

To be more specific, the style I set up for the menu is in the Player > Colours & Effects > Show Advanced Colour Editing link > Edit Item link > List Item > Viewed Item. I changed this viewed item style to a light grey so that the learner can see that they've already selected/visited the topic.

Alyssa Gomez

Happy to dive into this with you, Pauline! Can you help me with a few key details?

• What version and update of Storyline are you using? You can find out by going to Help >> About Storyline.
  • Is the published course hosted on a web server or a learning management system?
  • What web browser are you using to view the course?
Jeroen Vereecken

Hello, I have the same problem. I end my course with a quiz round. If they fail, they have to restart the course (with button and linked trigger 'restart course'). However, the menu is indeed not restricted anymore. They can jump freely through it and they do not have to follow the menu.

Can this be solved? 

Ren Gomez

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for reaching out, and I'm sorry you're running into this issue as well where a course with a restricted menu does not restrict after restarting. We have reported it to our team, and continue to keep an eye on it to evaluate how many customers are impacted.

Is it possible for you to use locked navigation in the player? It's more restrictive but may help when restarting a course.

I'm really sorry that I can't say when this issue will be fixed, but you're in the right place to stay updated on this bug's progress.

Brian Keefer

We have a client that wants restricted navigation in a Storyline 360 course and they want the user to be sent to the beginning of the course, with the course and restricted navigation reset if they do not pass the final exam. Since the "restart course" trigger does not reset the restricted navigation, I am not able to do what they requested (and at this point they do not want locked navigation). Since I can create a link that sends someone to the first slide if they fail, I am not sure why the "restart course" trigger was created and placed in Storyline in the first place if it does not reset the course. And it looks like 2 years later it hasn't been fixed because enough people haven't complained about it? Really?

Ren Gomez

Hi Ashley,

I'm sorry to hear you're running into this as well! Our team is still looking into this issue where a course with a restricted menu does not restrict after restarting, but you're certainly in the right place for updates!

As I mentioned above, for now, you may want to try a "Locked" menu in your course if you need restriction upon restarting the course.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Anthony and Christopher, 

Thanks for letting us know that you've been impacted by this bug as well. We do not have a timeframe to share, but I have alerted the team that there are additional folks impacted.

I wanted to share some information on how we define bugs and how we tackle them when they occur.