Storyline 360 - SCORM 2004 - 3rd Edition - Complete / Incomplete - showing cmi.exit = suspend instead of cmi.exit = normal

May 11, 2020

Issues with LMS (Cornerstone) when importing SCORM 2004 3rd Complete / Incomplete - showing cmi.exit = suspend instead of cmi.exit = normal.

Issue: we are trying to keep track of how many attempts are being made by a user in a quiz. Unfortunately, because of this different SCORM2004Function, this is not working accordingly. We tested it many times and same result. I tried changing the information in the JS file (I am sure typically not recommended) but still no luck.

Since the course is rather small, I signed up for SCORM Cloud to test this and see if I can compare the output.

CLOUD course Name: Eclipsys Eligibility Assessment

cmi.completion_status: completed
cmi.credit: Credit
cmi.entry: Resume
cmi.exit: Normal

Seems like in Cloud it does behave as expected. 

This is a response we received from a ticket from Cornerstone in regards to the information they saw which confirms our concern:

Iran,

I tested completion of the course as cesadmin whilst running a Fiddler trace, and the data that was returned showed "cmi.exit":"suspend"  where this should be cmi.exit="normal".  This would certainly match with what we're seeing where the attempts do not increase. 

This can be referenced from the image in the first knowledge article in the Knowledge tab where it says "ADL Note:".

I would recommend changing that Suspend All navigation request.  From our attempts to resolve thus far, this setting has not yet been changed and must be in order to see a change in the attempts logged.

This must be accomplished on the content creator's side so I would recommend referencing the attached article (SCORM 2004 Quiz Data - Custom report returns all Quiz Attempt values as 1) closely in order to resolve this issue.

I am running Storyline 360 v3.39.22088.o

I see this same issue was reported 7 years ago. I just do not see where I can make any changes in the application to make sure that this is set to cmi.exit=normal as LMS is expecting.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

11 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Iran,

Thanks for reaching out, and I'm sorry to hear you're running into some issues with this error! 

I appreciate you troubleshooting your file in SCORM Cloud and sharing what your LMS has responded with. I've opened a case on your behalf and have shared this information with our support team.

Be on the lookout for a response soon!

Lauren Connelly

Hi Conor!

This error can often be specific to an LMS environment.

Here's a suggestion from one of our Support Engineers, Christopher: if you are using Complete/Incomplete for reporting, try switching this to Passed/Incomplete or Passed/Failed and see if that makes any difference. You can find out more here.

Conor McCormack

Thanks Lauren - I've tested this with both those options of pass/failed, complete/incomplete - I know by default Storyline defaults to suspend as the exit status and from other conversations with this, I've also tried adding in an exit button with the exit trigger which I thought would have solved the issue - setting the suspend status from suspend to normal but that didn't do the trick. 

I also was trying to reset and manually change the suspend state via the configuration, SCORM and SCORM2004.js files but that didn't resolve the issue either.

Not sure if you're aware of other tips I could try?

Thanks!

Conor McCormack

Thanks Lauren - we've actually been in contact already and unfortunately there's currently no work around for this - by default Articulate is sending the suspend status - and if that was changed it would affect book marking!

Thanks for your follow ups though and intrigued to see if any solution will come in the future,

Conor. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Suraj,

I took a look and we have not gotten a reply from Iran or Conor, so I do not have an update to provide for you.

Are you able to recreate this behavior when testing in another LMS environment, such as SCORM Cloud? if so, we'd be happy to take a look.

With your permission, you can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.